Archived Story

Flood relief grants available to vets

Published 9:18am Monday, October 11, 2010

The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs is offering flood relief grants to veterans and their families in Freeborn County.

According to Freeborn County Veterans Service Officer Jon Rhiger, veterans, their families and surviving spouses can get grant funding of up to $750 if they have not received FEMA or other assistance, and if insurance did not cover the expenses.

“If they have flood damages they’ve paid for out of pocket and did not receive any funding or insurance, they can qualify for this funding,” said Rhiger.

He said the funding can be used for anything damaged or destroyed as a result of the flooding, including replacement of appliances and sewer repairs, just to name a few.

Rhiger said applications must be filled out and itemized receipts dated between Sept. 23 and Dec. 31, 2010, must be submitted, along with any documentation stating that these damages have not or will not be covered by insurance, FEMA, or other flood relief programs.

The veteran’s discharge papers and veterans separation documents (DD form 214) must also be provided.

Applications can be picked up in the Freeborn County Veteran’s Service Office during their regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.

Rhiger said this is a temporary program offered to veterans and their families in all 35 counties under Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s emergency declaration, affected by the September 22 flooding.