Sports Memories: Jan. 29Published 1:09pm Saturday, January 28, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago — 1962
- The Albert Lea basketball team defeated Mason City 71-59. The Tigers were led by Gary Jacobsen with 21 points and 22 rebounds and Lowell Syverson with 21 points.
- The Northwood basketball team defeated Belmond 73-38 to remain undefeated for the season at 11-0. Mike Lien scored 25 points, Phil Johnson 22 points and 22 rebounds and Larry Holstad scored 18 points.
- Mike Ferguson scored 23 points and Doug Cipra 18 for the Glenville Trojans 69-58 victory over Grand Meadow.
- The Lake Mills basketball team defeated Buffalo Center 73-47. Allen Holstad scored 25 points and Arlen Stensrud 17 for the Bulldogs.
25 years ago — 1987
- The Albert Lea wrestling team defeated Mason City 34-26 and raised their season dual meet record to 5-2. Winning matches for the Tigers were Alex Wangen at 98 pounds, Kenny Jaques at 105, Daryl Ortgies (112), John Edwin (119), Kevin Kermes (126), Al Mullenbach at (132), Alex Skaar at (138) and Paul Solomonson (185).
- The Albert Lea boys’ basketball team raised their Big Nine Conference record to 5-2 with a 72-61 win over Winona. Mike Petersen scored 32 points and Tim Struck 15 for the Tigers.
- In an overtime Border League basketball game, Alden-Conger defeated Lyle 58-48. David Zeller scored 16 points and had 14 rebounds, Darren Dylla scored 12 points and had 14 rebounds and Jeremy Johnson scored 11 points and had 11 rebounds for A-C.
10 years ago — 2002
- The Albert Lea girls’ basketball team defeated New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva 36-35. Beth Kolling had 12 points and Jenny Vanderploeg 10 for Albert Lea. Camille Kyte scored 13 points for NRHEG.
- The Albert Lea boys’ swimming team defeated Austin 98-85. Double winners for the Tigers were Ethan Berg in the 50-yard freestyle and the 100 backstroke and Mitch Johnson in the 200 freestyle and the 100 freestyle.
- Goalie Danika Porter recorded her third shutout in a row for the Albert Lea girls’ hockey team in their 6-0 win over Mankato West.
Chuck Anderson’s column appears each Sunday in the Tribune.