Sports MemoriesPublished 6:58pm Saturday, April 21, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1962
• The Stables Supper Club won the team title at the Minnesota Men’s State Bowling Tournament. Team members included Maynard Peterson, Chris Johnson, Dick Cashman, Al Berg and Ode Holstad.
• The Glenville High School baseball team, behind the 11 strike-out pitching of Doug Cipra, defeated Lyle 9-2. Dick Offenhauser had two hits for the Trojans.
• The Albert Lea High School track team defeated Austin 62-56. Placing first for the Tigers was Tom Olson in the shot put, Lowell Syverson in the high jump, Rog Kittelson in the pole vault and Gary Jacobson in the 120-yard high hurdles and the 180-yard low hurdles.
25 years ago – 1987
• In girls’ golf ALHS defeated Mankato West 214-220. Scoring for Albert Lea was medalist Tiffany Frees, 52, followed by Debbie Kroc, 53, Melissa Bloom, 54, and Joni Wright 55.
• Kevin Newman threw a no-hitter for the Alden-Conger High School baseball team in their 5-0 victory over Waldorf-Pemberton. Ben Adams had three RBIs for A-C.
• The Glenville High School girls’ softball team won their 41st straight Gopher Conference game when they defeated Emmons 16-4. Bridgett Matter was the winning pitcher. Lisa Sveen led Emmons with three RBI’s and a home run.
• In a triangular track meet Wells-Easton scored 96 points, Waseca scored 54 and Faribault Shattuck scored 24. Mike Yonkey won the 110-meter high hurdles, the discus, high jump and the shotput. Mike’s sister won the shot put and the discus.
10 years ago – 2002
• The Glenville-Emmons High School baseball team swept a double header from Spring Grove 13-5 and 14-1. Paul Kleven and Jake Hanson each had four hits, and Richie Mathis was the winning pitcher in the first game. In the second game, Mitch Meier was the winning pitcher and had two hits and three RBIs.
• In their season opener the ALHS boys’ golf team was defeated by Rochester Mayo 311-330. Scoring for the Tigers was Josh Jones, 80, Adam Elseth, 82, Ryan Thompson, 83, Adam Boelter, 85, and Dan Breuer.
• The Alden-Conger girls’ softball team defeated Glenville-Emmons 12-6. Steph Lackey was the winning pitcher. Molly Wasmoen had three hits and four RBIs for A-C.