Sports MemoriesPublished 8:27pm Saturday, April 14, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1962
• Motel 65 won the Albert Lea Women’s Bowling Association team title. Team members were Julie Marshik, Lillian Jensen, Lois Thisius, Kathleen Madson and Yvonne Timmerman.
• The Minnesota Twins evened their record at 1-1 with an 8-0 win over the Kansas City Royals. Camilo Pascual threw a four hitter for the win. Bob Allison, Rich Rollins and Earl Battey homered for the Twins.
25 years ago – 1987
• Named to the Albert Lea Tribune All-Area Boys’ Basketball first Team were Tim Struck, Greg Deyak and Mike Petersen from Albert Lea High School, Eric Sheehan from Emmons and Jeff Charlson from Lake Mills, Iowa. Named to the second team were Ted Jirele and Todd Wright from ALHS, Darrin Dylla from Alden-Conger, Rodney Goette from Freeborn and Scott Heggen from Wells Easton.
• Named to the Albert Lea Tribune All-Area Girls’ Basketball first team were Julie Coughlin and Melissa Johnson from ALHS, Michelle Yonkey from Wells-Easton, Tina Wangsness from Ellendale-Geneva and Kay Molskness. Named to the second team were Jill Cluppert from ALHS, Laura Berkeland from South Central, Jill Johnson from New Richland-Hartland, Brigett Matter from Glenville and Jill Thompson from NR-H.
• The ALHS boys’ golf team defeated Waseca 154-163. Scores for the Tigers were Chad Adams 36, Brian Knudsen 38, Ron Schulz 40 and Mike Kroc 40.
• The Glenville girls’ softball team scored an 11-4 victory over Blooming Prairie. Winning pitcher Brigett Matter and Kim Anderson had two hits each for Glenville.
10 years ago – 2002
• In its season opener the ALHS baseball team defeated Rochester John Marshall 10-3. Isaac Walton was the winning pitcher. Adam Highum had three hits for the Tigers.
• Freshman Steph Lackey had 15 strike outs for the Alden-Conger softball team in their 14-8 win over Martin Luther. Kendra Mathiason had four hits for A-C.
• Ag Power Enterprises won the Albert Lea Family Y Men’s Basketball League title. Team members were Marcus Ludtke, Jake Veldman, Ken Petersen, Mark Smed, Matt Addington, Max Jeffery, Craig Ludtke, Mike Veldman, Larry Reynen, Bryan Seibert and Tom Eaton.