Weekend Planner: Albert Lea hosts variety of events this weekendPublished 10:06am Thursday, June 28, 2012
Albert Lea has a myriad of events going on this weekend, and Emmons is holding Borderfest, its town festival, this weekend as well. Look to Page 5 for more information about Borderfest.
Albert Lea hosts a Strawberry Festival starting at 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday in downtown Albert Lea. The farmers market will run all six hours, too. There will be train rides for kids from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and cooking demonstrations at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. There will also be an antique tractor show, and downtown vendors will have specials and sidewalk sales.
Then starting at 1 p.m. is an outdoor carnival at the North Broadway Avenue parking lot. It runs until 11 p.m., and wristbands are available for the rides.
Also Saturday is the Freedom Festival, hosted by Albert Lea’s Beyond the Yellow Ribbon group. Entertainment starts at 12:30 p.m. by the Alley Katz, followed at 3 to 6 p.m. by Christian rock band Sent, then Bad Monkey from 6 to 9 p.m. The event is all at Edgewater Park, and there’s no admission fee. Free hot dogs are available, as well as bartending by Geneva Bar & Grill. Children’s activities will be available all day, too.
Then starting at 12:30 p.m. at Green Lea Golf Course is the Corey Goodnature Memorial Golf Classic. Opening ceremonies are at 12:30 p.m., with the four-person best-shot starting at 1 p.m. Dinner and silent and live auctions will follow later that evening at the golf club.
• The Albert Lea American Legion hosts country singer Sheldon Tucker at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door.
• Albert Lea’s downtown Strawberry Festival runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. along Broadway Avenue.
• Merriam’s Carnival will be downtown from 1 to 11 p.m. Wristbands for the entire weekend are available.
• Albert Lea’s Beyond the Yellow Ribbon hosts a Freedom Festival from 12:30 to 9 p.m. at Edgewater Park.
• The Corey Goodnature Memorial Golf Classic starts at 12:30 p.m. at Green Lea Golf Course.
• Merriam’s Carnival continues at the parking lot at North Broadway Avenue from 1 to 10 p.m. The carnival is closed Monday and reopens for Tuesday and Wednesday.