Celebrating my 29th birthday for the 8th timePublished 9:16am Monday, June 25, 2012
Column: Aaron Worm, Behind the Mic
A year older and a year wiser is what they say. I turn 36 today, and I don’t feel any smarter than I did when I was 20, 25 or 30. But I do feel blessed for another year and for all the wonderful people in my life, including those who check out this column each week or tune into the radio.
With it being the 25th day of June, here are 25 quick thoughts that don’t include cake and candles.
1. Albert Lea 14-year-old Lindsey Horesji competes in the 100-meter breast stroke at the U.S Olympic Trials Tuesday in Omaha, Neb.
2. Albert Lea Hall of Fame banquet will be held on July 7 at Wedgewood Cove Golf Course.
3. Two months from today the Albert Lea football team will have its first scrimmage.
4. Five days later on Aug. 30, the team kicks off the season at home against Waseca.
5. Joe Mauer is currently second in the All Star voting for catchers.
6. Deadline to vote for the All Star game is this Thursday, at mlb.com.
7. If I had to pick an All-Star rep for the Twins, Scott Diamond, 6-3 with a 2.67 ERA.
8. He is only hitting .246 but Trevor Plouffe is tied for the team lead in home runs with 15.
9. Twins are 13 games below .500, but just 8 ½ games out of first.
10. Former Twin Jim Thome hit his record breaking 13th career walk off homer in the Phillies win Saturday.
11. Thome wears No. 25, same date as my birthday.
12. Two other number 25’s, Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, who might have a few more things in common.
13. The White Sox pick up third baseman Kevin Youkilis in a trade with the Red Sox.
14. Youkilis’s first time in a different Sox uniform will be this week at Target Field.
15. LeBron James captured his first NBA Title; I think it’s time for me to give him some slack.
16. Scott Brooks, the head coach of the losing Oklahoma City Thunder, played for Minnesota from 1990-1992.
17. The NBA Draft is this Thursday.
18. The Timberwolves will draft 18th and 58th overall.
19. I don’t share my birthday with any famous athletes, but I do with Jimmie Walker Dy-no-mite!
20. Of course after I bought his jersey last year rumors were that Percy Harvin wanted to be traded.
21. It seems like No. 12 will stay, but after I got Sidney Rice’s jersey he took off to Seattle.
22. Best Viking to draft in your fantasy league? I go with tight end Kyle Rudolph.
23. The Minnesota Wild Road Tour will be at Wells Fargo in Austin Tuesday from 11 a.m. to noon.
24. Charlie Coyle, Matt Kassian, Antti Laaksonen and Mike Greenlay are scheduled to be in attendance for the Wild.
25. Last week the Wild took 17-year-old defenseman Matt Dumba from Calgary with the seventh overall pick.
I don’t think I will be blowing out candles tonight, unless my wife puts them on one of the dollar dogs I will be enjoying at the Twins vs. White Sox game. If it’s a birthday or a normal Monday, there’s no better place to be than at the ballpark.