First Lutheran Church WomenPublished 9:03am Friday, June 15, 2012
First Lutheran Church Women met May 9 in Bethany Hall at 1:15 p.m. for a “Blessing of the Tea Cup.”
Each person attending brought their favorite cup/saucer and dressed accordingly, with most wearing hats for the occasion. The tables were decorated with teapots on each table, candy, slices of lemon and linen napkins and napkin rings. There were also two red hearts and a recipe for each lady.
The devotion was given by Janice Hammer who reminded the group that doing good deeds for strangers is important as these strangers may be angels. She also reminded about the practice hospitality without grumbling.
Brenda Ludtke sang “You Alone” accompanied by Marilyn Chafee. She also had the group sing “I’m a Little Teapot,” and both were enjoyed by everyone.
Joan Holt introduced the program which included:
• Readings by both Jen Montei and Marlene Behle
• Sandy Narverud shared a reading about having a tea party with her granddaughter Rachel
• Elaine Peterson read a poem
• Jan Overgaard told about welcoming a new granddaughter into the world at the hospital and how excited everyone was while the baby slept through it all.
• Bonnie Schneider said that the tea cups are prayer cups, and if you will pray for someone who needs your prayers, that will be a wonderful way to begin your day and will be so helpful to those in need of these prayers.
• Ione Kelly said that the group needs to have a tea party for those who rejoice as well as those who weep.
• Tep Christensen read an excerpt for the group for when each woman has breakfast in the morning. It was a prayer for blessings, and each breakfast is a celebration of these blessings.
• Ludtke sang a song entitled “ Blessings” and said that the group all has blessings in their lives, but the final blessing is yet to come.
Schneider thanked everyone and reminded the group of the Albert Lea Community Chorus and the Southeastern Minnesota Chamber Orchestra concert on May 13 in the Sanctuary, the Scholarship Salad Luncheon on May 18 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the church, the Spring Lutheran World Relief van on May 19 and the salad luncheon on June 8.
Also, the First Lutheran Church Women’s field trip to the Plymouth Playhouse will be on July 11. People can sign up before Wednesday for a cost of $50. They will be presenting “A Mighty Fortress” by the Church Basement Ladies.