Weekend Planner: It might just be the busiest weekend of allPublished 9:59am Thursday, July 5, 2012
This year marks the fifth annual April Sorensen Memorial Half Marathon, one of many activities in a jam-packed weekend.
The race starts at 7:30 a.m. Saturday in Albert Lea. It follows Albert Lea Lake and ends in Hayward.
Runners packets are available from 6 to 6:45 a.m. Saturday at Country Inn & Suites on East Main Street. Same-day registration is available for the race, and is $60 for individuals and $120 for relay teams.
Events from Farm & City Days in New Richland can be found on Page 5.
• Conger’s volunteer firefighter department hosts its annual pork chop supper from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the fire hall. Menu includes pork chops, potato salad, cole slaw, beans and dinner roll. Cost is $9 for adults and $6 for age 12 and younger.
• The Fourth of July Celebration in Northwood, Iowa, continues this weekend. There is a K-12 pool party starting at 6 p.m. in the municipal pool and Cherry Gun performs in the beer garden downtown at 9 p.m.
• The Tune Run/Walk in Northwood is at 9 a.m., starting at the Northwood Theater.
• Albert Lea’s Sample Saturday Series continues with free archery lessons at 10 a.m. at the Brookside Boathouse.
• Northwood holds several sports tournaments. Softball and disc golf at 9 a.m. and horseshoes and golf at 1 p.m.
• The Hayward Days free car show will start with registration from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Voting will close at 3 p.m. and awards will be given out at 4 p.m. The first 50 to register will get dash plaques, and other prizes will be awarded to top finishers.
• The Albert Lea High School Hall of Fame Banquet begins at 5:30 p.m. at Wedgewood Cove Golf Club.
• The All BS band will provide outdoor music at Julio’s Bar in Hayward at 4 p.m. Then High Adventure will play for the street dance starting at 8 p.m.
• Aragon Bar in Albert Lea takes over College Street for a street dance, starting at 6 p.m.
• Rhino performs in the downtown beer garden at 9 p.m. in Northwood.
• Bricelyn shoots off fireworks at dusk and holds a street dance.
• Albert Lea’s American Legion will host a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Menu includes pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, fruit, juice and coffee. The breakfast is open to the public and suggested donation is $7 for adults and free for those age 6 and younger.
• Northbridge Mall will host the musical stylings of Tim Stoneking at 1 p.m. in the center court. There is no admission fee.