Sports MemoriesPublished 9:38am Sunday, July 22, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1962
• The Albert Lea Packers were defeated by Owatonna 16-11 in a Southern Minnesota League baseball game. The Packers were led by Dave Long with two home runs and four RBIs and Charlie Weathers with a home run and four RBIs.
• Harmon Killebrew and Bob Allison each hit a bases loaded home run in the first inning for the Minnesota Twins in their 14-3 win over the Cleveland Indians. Catcher Earl Battey had three hits for the Twins.
• The Glenville American Legion baseball team won the small post District 1 title with an 8-2 win over Lake City.
Glenville played Winona, the large post champion in District 1, in a two out of three series for the District 1 title and a trip to the Minnesota State Tournament.
25 years ago – 1987
• The Albert Lea VFW traveling baseball team clinched a tie in the First District League, Western Division by defeating Austin 15-8. Leading Albert Lea were Phil Adams and John Ball with three hits each and Chad Boone with three RBIs. Mike Schlitz picked up the win.
• The Albert Lea 11-to 12-age division girls’ relay team won the 400-meter relay at the National Recreation and Park Association Minnesota State Track and Field Meet which was held at Pipestone. Team members were Kirsten Nowak, Danielle Bolinger, Kristi Edwin and Mollee Ludtke. Edwin also won the girls 11 to 12 division 800-meter run.
10 years ago – 2002
• Eddie Bellrichard of Albert Lea was inducted into the Albert Lea Men’s Bowling Association Hall of Fame.
• The Lake Mills girls’ softball team defeated West Hancock 10-0 and won their eighth district title in the last 11 years. Mindy Bjellland threw a three-hitter for the Bulldogs. Melissa Brackey had three RBIs and Kjerstin Back had two for the Bulldogs.
• Erik Johnson, a 2000 graduate of Albert Lea High School, and a student at the University of Wisconsin — Stevens Point earned Division 3 All-American recognition in three swimming events. Johnson placed fourth in the 50-yard freestyle, seventh in the 100 and the 200 freestyle.