Homecoming is this week at ALHSPublished 6:52am Sunday, September 23, 2012
Don’t be alarmed if you see zombies, hillbillies or Disney characters around town this week — it’s Homecoming for Albert Lea High School.
Special events at the high school are scheduled throughout the week. The student council organized all the events under its adviser, teacher Brittany Van Reese.
“They were very organized and super excited about Homecoming this year,” Van Reese said. “The theme is Tiger Pride, and we were working toward getting everyone excited and promoting participation.”
Van Reese said the student councilors hoped to make positive events and choose dress up days that would be interesting to all students. And with free admission for students to all athletic events, district staff are hoping for a big turnout at sporting events. High school Activities Director Chris Chalmers said kindergartners through fifth-graders will have free admission with a paid adult and sixth- through 12th-graders will also get into events free.
“We want them to come out and support their friends and classmates,” Chalmers said.
Chalmers also said the district has high expectations that all students treat all teams, opponents and officials with respect during Homecoming week.
The public is invited to the coronation of Homecoming king and queen at 2:15 p.m. Monday in the auditorium. Juniors and seniors will be present; other grades will watch the coronation on classroom TVs.
A pep fest will begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Events at the pep fest include a teacher dance-off, a danceline performance and more. Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. will be the senior class dinner and dance at Wedgewood Cove Golf Club.
Thursday the Homecoming royalty will visit the district’s elementary schools. Friday school will let out early for a field day from 1 to 2:45 p.m. at Jim Gustafson Field. Friday night after the football game will be two dances. Eighth- and ninth-graders will have a dance in the commons area and 10th- through 12th-grades will have a dance in the gym.
Dress up days are as follows:
• Monday: Zombie and monster day. Students are allowed to wear face paint, but no masks.
• Tuesday: Class colors day. Seniors will wear black, juniors green, sophomores orange, freshmen pink, eighth-graders white and staff yellow.
• Wednesday: Hillbilly day.
• Thursday: Disney character day.
• Friday: Cherry and blue day.
Sports events this week include:
• Monday: cross country at Fairmont at 4:30 p.m.
• Tuesday: girls’ tennis versus Rochester Century at 4:30 p.m., girls’ soccer at Mankato East at 5 p.m., boys’ soccer versus Mankato East at 7:15 p.m., volleyball at Austin at 7:15 p.m.
• Thursday: girls’ tennis at Winona at 4:30 p.m., boys’ soccer at Mankato West at 5 p.m., girls’ swimming versus Mankato East at 6 p.m., girls’ soccer versus Mankato West at 7 p.m., volleyball at Mankato East at 7:15 p.m.
• Friday: football versus Winona at 7 p.m.