Weekend Planner: Rock ’n’ roll to light LighthousePublished 9:17am Thursday, October 25, 2012
Many performers will gather to rock the Lighthouse Event Center in Albert Lea this Saturday.
Music starts at 7:30 p.m. and includes artists such as Nothing More Than a Ghost, Aaron Hagen and friends, Kyle Niedermier Band, Collin Milliron, Alex Lamson, CeCe Maras and others.
Tickets are $5 and are available at Marshall Street Music, Hy-Vee and Stadheim Jewelers in Albert Lea and at Coffee House on Main in Austin.
• Prairie Wind Coffee hosts the Meet the Met event from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. The event is a chance to learn more about Saturday’s opera that will be broadcast at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center.
• A haunted walk will be from 7 to 10 p.m. along the trail near Brookside Education Center. Admission is $5. The event, which is not recommended for children under age 10, is sponsored by Albert Lea Parks and Recreation and the Freeborn County United Way.
• Cruisin’ for Daniel will begin at 11 a.m. at the Bend in the Road in Manchester. Signup for the car cruise, in memory of the late Daniel Stahl, begins at 10 a.m. Cost is $10 per person and includes a meal. There will also be an auction; all money raised will go to building a memorial in Stahl’s memory in Alden.
• The Humane Society of Freeborn County hosts a Howl-O-Ween event from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 101 James Ave. in Albert Lea. There will be trick or treat stations and a costume contest at noon. Cost is $5 per group or a donation of pet supplies.
• A live high-definition viewing of “Otello” from New York’s Met Opera will be at noon a.m. at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $20 for general admission, $18 for Met Opera members and $12 for students.
• The Lighthouse Event Center hosts a concert starting at 7:30 p.m. Cost is $5.
• Albert Lea’s American Legion hosts a Halloween party with Poisoned starting at 8:30 p.m. There will be a costume contest at 11 p.m.
• Geneva Bar & Grill hosts a Halloween party and costume contest starting at 8:30 p.m. The H.O.G. Band will also play.
• Albert Lea’s Where It Matters bar hosts a Halloween party with a disc jockey from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. There will be a costume contest at midnight, along with prizes, bar games and specials.
• The Kiester Firefighters Relief Association breakfast will be from 7 a.m. to noon at the Kiester American Legion. Menu includes pancakes, blueberry pancakes, French toast, scrambled eggs, sausage patties and beverages. Donations will be accepted and go toward the purchase of new equipment.
• A benefit for Jeff and Mary Laeger-Hagemeister will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at First Lutheran Church’s Bethany Hall. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. will be a soup luncheon and silent auction, at 1 p.m. is a live auction, at 2 p.m. there will be music and at 2:30 p.m. bars, coffee and fellowship.
• The eighth annual hotel Halloween carnival will be from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Country Inn & Suites in Albert Lea.
• The play “The Accidental Hero” will be performed at Myrtle’s Brick Hall at 2 p.m. The one-man play will be presented by Patrick Dewane. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at Glenville Bank and at the play if not sold out. Kolache will be served after the play.
• The Albert Lea Civic Music Association presents Cahal Dunne at 3 p.m. at the Albert Lea High School auditorium. Admission is by season tickets only. Tickets are available by calling 552-1266.
• Campaign 4 Kindness will host a walk to raise awareness about bullying at 3 p.m. at the Freeborn County Fairgrounds. Registration is from 2 to 3 p.m., and a cookout will be at 4 p.m. after the walk. For more information call 318-2600.