Sports MemoriesPublished 6:44pm Saturday, November 3, 2012
50 years ago – 1962
• The Minnesota Gophers defeated the Michigan Wolverines 17-0 to win the Little Brown Jug. Quarterback Duane Blaska threw touchdown passes to Jim Cairns and John Campbell. Colin Versich kicked a 24-yard field goal for the Gophers. The Gopher defense held Michigan to minus 46 yards on the ground.
• The Albert Lea High School football team raised its Big Nine Conference record to 6-2 after defeating Red Wing 28-14. Scoring touchdowns for the Tigers were Mel Stensrud, Dave Wilcox, John Goodmanson and Mike Wittkamper. John Hegland converted on all four extra point attempts.
• Glenville High School shut out the Waseca Aggies football team 13-0. Quarterback Doug Cipra threw a 47-yard touchdown pass to Mike Ferguson and Ferguson scored on an 8-yard run.
25 years ago – 1987
• Outfielder Kirby Puckett of the Minnesota Twins was named to the Associated Press Major League Baseball All-Star team.
• The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Denver Broncos 34-27 and improved to 3-3 for the season. D. J. Dozier scored three touchdowns for the Vikings.
• In the semi-final round of Section 3 in Class “C” football Alden-Conger-Freeborn defeated New Richland-Hartland 32-18. Mike Allen scored three touchdowns. Matt Potter and Kent Klocek had one each for A-C-F. Karl Felsheim scored two touchdowns for NR-H.
10 years ago – 2002
• Phillip Olson of Clarks Grove won the 2002 American Bicycle Association Minnesota BMX state title in the 14 year old Expert Division. Phillip had placed second the prior two years.
• Phil Haug of Luther College, a 1999 graduate of ALHS, was named to the All-Iowa Conference Golf Team.
• The United South Central/Alden-Conger girls’ cross country team won the championship in the Section 1A meet at Montgomery and advanced to state. Placings for the USC/A-C team were Sara Bias, second, Jamie Klien, fourth, Becca Bryson, fifth, Megan Jensen, sixth, Kallie Rollenhagen, 10th, Amelia Treptow, 23rd and Michelle Sonnek, 27th. The girls finished in third place at the Minnesota state meet. Making All-State were Becca Bryson with a 15th place finish and Sara Bias with a 22nd place finish.