Weekend Planner: Veterans park to be dedicatedPublished 9:36am Thursday, November 8, 2012
WELLS — The Area Veterans Memorial Park in Wells will be dedicated at 1 p.m. Sunday. There are 686 names of veterans, with space for an additional 338. The park honors veterans of all wars from Alden, Bricelyn, Easton, Delavan, Freeborn, Kiester, Minnesota Lake, Walters and Wells.
The park has four granite walls featuring names, as well as a flag pole, directory and granite benches. Future additions include sidewalks, more flag poles, a gazebo and more.
Refreshments will be served following the program. The Wells Depot Museum will be open from noon to 4 p.m. It will host a special demonstration titled “The POW Remembrance Table” by Chelsea Schultz, commander of the Easton Legion, at 2 and 3 p.m.
A turkey dinner will be hosted from 4 to 6:30 p.m. by the Wells American Legion Auxiliary. Cost is $8 for nonmembers and no cost for members. Also that day will be a 5k fun run/walk at 11 a.m., hosted by the Wells Area Jaycees. All proceeds will go to the veterans park. Call 327-1170 with questions.
• Northbridge Mall hosts a craft fair from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. The fair continues from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
• Meet the Met, a chance to hear the background story of “The Tempest” before its Saturday showing, will be held at Prairie Wind Coffee. The event is from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. and is a chance to learn more about the show that will be Saturday at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center.
• St. Theodore Catholic School hosts a fish fry from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Cost is $9 for adults, $3 for children under age 12 and free for children under age 3. Menu includes fish, chicken strips, baked or mashed potatoes, cole slaw, rolls, ice cream with toppings and beverage.
• A family mystery movie night will begin at 7 p.m. at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center. The event is free and the movie will be PG.
• The Alden American Legion Auxiliary will host its holiday craft fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Alden-Conger School. Many varieties of crafts and handmade goods will be available.
• “The Tempest” will air at noon at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center. Doors and the box office open at 11 a.m. The opera is part of a series that will be seen live via satellite from the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. Tickets are $20 per person, or $18 for season ticket holders of Civic Music or the Albert Lea Community Theatre.
• The Lloyd and Ardis Peterson Cancer Symposium will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Wedgewood Cove Golf Club. Registration in advance is required by calling 379-2046.
• First Lutheran Church hosts a smoked barbecue rib dinner from 6 to 8 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. Menu includes ribs, cole slaw, baked potatoes and a roll. Proceeds go to the First Lutheran Church Sunday school.
• TB3’s in Freeborn hosts Moe Merkin, starting at 9 p.m.
• The American Legion hosts a breakfast for veterans and for community members who wish to thank veterans from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Suggested donation is $5 for adults and free for children under age 6. Menu includes pancakes, scrambled eggs, diced ham, sausage, potatoes, fruit cup, juice and coffee.
• The Community Band will perform its fall concert at 2 p.m. at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center. There’s no charge but donations are welcome.