Sports MemoriesPublished 9:17am Sunday, December 2, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1962
• The Albert Lea High School basketball team evened its season record at 1-1 with a 50-48 win over Minneapolis Patrick Henry. The Tigers were led by Denny Tostenson and Harold Mueller with 16 points each.
• Named to the All-Big Ten football team from the Minnesota Gophers were tackle Bobby Bell, guard Julian Hook and end John Campbell.
• Gary Thompson scored 28 points for the Alden High School basketball team in its win over Glenville High School in their season opener.
• Named to the All-Big Nine Conference football team from ALHS were fullback Mel Stensrud, quarterback John Goodmanson, guard Gary Van Wyngeeren and end Mike Wittkamper.
25 years ago – 1987
• Named to the All-Gopher Conference Volleyball Team from Ellendale-Geneva were Tina Wangsness, Kim Anderson, Julie Stieglebauer and Krist Paulson; from New Richland-Hartland were Audra Nissen, Jill Thompson, Cheryl Miller and Jill Lorenz; from Blooming Prairie was Darla Dodly.
• Named to the All-Gopher Conference football team from NR-H were Leigh Johannsen, Mark Simser, Brett McDonough, Travis Massey and Troy Pederson; from Glenville were Brian Yost and Jason LaRue; from E-G was Judd Aaseth.
• Named to the All-Border League football team from Alden-Conger-Freeborn were Bill Nelson, Tim Staloch, Troy Newman, Matt Potter and Mike Allen; from South Central were Mark Meyer, Steve
Benson and Scott Larson.
10 years ago – 2002
•The ALHS girls’ hockey team won their fifth straight game when they defeated Winona 3-0. Laura Hillman scored two goals and Brittany Arendt scored one for Albert Lea.
• Jason Kuipers of the ALHS football team was named the Albert Lea Tribune Player of the Year and Dave Capitani of Northwood-Kensett was named Coach of the Year. Named to the Albert Lea Tribune All-Area football team from ALHS were Jason Kuipers, Randy Larson, Jake McClaskey, Stephan Thorn and Marcus Thorstad; from Alden- Conger were Jason Hemmingsen and Josh Wills; from G-E were Kris Knutson, Derek Lau and Mitch Meier; from Lake Mills were Dan Helgeson and Cody Nickson; from New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva were Justin Hove and Michael Hullopeter; from Northwood-Kensett were Erick Butler, Joe Fierova, Kyle Hanson, Nick Hovey, Lee Nelson and Nathan Peterson; and from United South Central were Trevor Haugh, Matt Linder, John Niebuhr, Ryan Treptow, Ben Wetzell and Steven Wood.