Sports MemoriesPublished 6:22pm Saturday, December 15, 2012
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1962
• The Wells High School basketball team remained undefeated at 3-0 with a 71-50 win over Albert Lea High School. Leading the balanced scoring for the Wildcats were Rich Wanzek with 20 points, Al Redman, 19, Tom Schultz, 12, and Dave Stussy, 10. The Tigers were led by Danny Hanson with 15 points, Harold Mueller, 13, and John Goodmanson, 10.
• In their second game of the week the Tigers defeated Faribault 68-61. Danny Hanson and John Goodmanson each scored 17 points for the Tigers.
• Bob Berg scored 25 points, Tom Wadding and Jerry Charlson with 17 each for Emmons in its 69-45 victory over Alden in a Border League basketball game.
25 years ago – 1987
• Sara and Steph Hartman from Albert Lea High School were named to the Class AA All-State Cross Country team. In the Minnesota state tournament Sara placed fourth and Steph placed 10th.
• Julie Coughlin of ALHS was named to the Big Nine All-Conference volleyball team. Receiving honorable mention was Meg Mikulich.
• The ALHS girls’ basketball team defeated Winona 59-55. Julie Coughlin scored 22 points and had 17 rebounds for Albert Lea.
• Lisa Sveen scored 19 points and had 19 rebounds for Glenville-Emmons in its 67-55 win over New Richland-Hartland. Jill Thompson scored 17 points for NR-H.
10 years ago – 2002
• The ALHS boys’ hockey team raised its Big Nine Conference record to 2-0 with a 4-1 won over Faribault. Scoring goals for the Tigers were Jon Breuer, Wade Westland, Travis McKinney and Egan Mattson.
• The ALHS girls’ hockey team also defeated Faribault by a 5-1 score. Laura Hillman scored two goals, and Brittany Arendt, Jill Woodside and Sarah Jensen had one goal each.
• The ALHS wrestling team improved to 4-2 in dual matches with a 45-15 win over Lakeville. Winners for the Tigers were Zach Hansen at 103 pounds, Josh Hansen at 112 pounds, Matt Morris 119 pounds, Alex Hansen 125 pounds, Neal Underdahl 135 pounds, Adam Elseth 140 pounds, Cory Frerk 160 pounds, Mike Honeycutt 189 pounds, Randy Larson 215 pounds and Chris Hable 275 pounds.