Sports MemoriesPublished 1:45pm Saturday, January 12, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Albert Lea graduate Rich Oliphant, a sophomore at State College of Iowa, received a varsity football letter. Oliphant was the Panthers’ second team quarterback.
• The Emmons High School basketball team improved their Border League record to 3-2 with a 63-36 victory over Bricelyn. The Eagles were led in scoring by Tom Wadding with 20 points, Bob Berg ,15, and Jerry Charlson, 11.
• In other Border League games Kiester defeated Frost 65-59 with 23 points by Warren Meyer. Alden defeated Freeborn 61-53 in overtime. Lowell Dopplehammer scored 18 points, Jim Lembke, 15, and Gary Johnson, 14. Les Honstad led Freeborn with 17 points.
• The Albert Lea Ranger hockey team fell to 1-4 in the Southern Minnesota Hockey League. Scoring goals for the Rangers were Vern Theisen and Dick Lindell in their 3-2 loss to Owatonna.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Albert Lea wrestling team shut out Mankato East 62-0. Winning matches by pins for the Tigers were Max Bjerke at 98 pounds, John Edwin at 119 pounds, Kelly Pechumer at 132 pounds, Al Mullenbach at 145) pounds and Kevin Schlitz at heavyweight.
• The ALHS boys’ swimming team defeated Austin 91-79. Double winners for the Tigers were Chris Schmitz in the 50-yard Freestyle and the 100-yard Butterfly and Chad Bergo in the 200-yard Individual Medlay and the 100-yard Backstroke.
• In a Border League East girls’ basketball game Glenville-Emmons defeated Alden-Conger-Freeborn 76-49. Lisa Sveen scored 22 points, Jean Allison, 13, and Kim Anderson, 10, for G-E. Jolene Ignaszewski led A-C-F with 15 points.
10 years ago – 2003
• Chelsea Cole and Samantha Cole were named to the All-Big Nine Conference Girls’ swimming team from ALHS
• Awards presented to the ALHS girls’ soccer team included the following: Crystal Rentz, Most Improved Offense; Anna Sigurdson, Most Improved Defense; Liz Reynen, Team Spirit; Laura Hillman, Most Valuable Offense; Steph Overgaard, Most Valuable Defense and Amy Ravenhorst, Most Valuable and All-State.