Sports MemoriesPublished 6:16pm Saturday, January 5, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea High School boys’ basketball team dropped to 1-3 in the Big Nine Conference after losing to Northfield 58-56. John Goodmanson scored 18 points, and Dan Hanson and Harold Mueller 10 points each for the Tigers.
• The ALHS wrestling team defeated Northfield 30-20. Winners for the Tigers were Gary Neist at 95 pounds, Barry Allen at 103 pounds, Ken Stauch at 112 pounds, Mike Callahan at 120 pounds, Neal Skaar at 138 pounds, Tom Countryman at 154 pounds, Jim Carrol at 165 pounds and Mike Roberts at heavyweight.
• Chuck Crabtree scored 15 points and Dan Jensen, 11, for the Ellendale basketball team in its 60-57 victory over New Richland. The Cardinals were led by Bruce Babcock with 23 points.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Wells-Easton boys’ basketball team with a 6-0 record was ranked No. 1 in Minnesota Class A.
• The ALHS boys hockey team raised its season record to 7-1-1 and its Big Nine Conference record to 2-0 after defeating Mankato 5-2. Mats Fingahl scored two goals, Jason Studier, Chad Adams and Ron Schultz each had one goal.
• In the National Football Conference wild card game the Minnesota Vikings defeated the New Orleans Saints 44-10. Anthony Carter caught six passes for 79 yards and returned a punt for an 84-yard touchdown.
• Leading scorers in area girls’ basketball were Kay Molskness of South Central and Tina Wangsness from Ellendale-Geneva with 20.6 points per game. Matt Potter from Alden-Conger-Freeborn led the boys with an average of 23 points per game.
10 years ago – 2003
• The ALHS boys’ basketball team defeated Spring Grove 73-53 in the Tiger Classic basketball tournament. Ben Woodside scored 26 points, Mike Munden, 16, and Mike Behrends, 11, for the Tigers.
• The 10th ranked Minnesota Gopher women’s basketball team defeated Michigan 98-70 in its Big Ten Conference opener and remained unbeaten at 12-0. Lindsay Whalen scored 30 points and Corrin Von Wald 18 for Minnesota.