United Way Volunteer of the MonthPublished 10:15am Thursday, February 7, 2013
Meet Jon Murray
Name: Jon Murraylumber
Livelihood:supervisor of the Mayo Clinic store
City of residence: Albert Lea
For how long: For my whole life minus the time I was in college
Tell us about your family: wife, Abby; children, Ayva, 6, Sienna, 4, and Charlie 19 months
Where do you volunteer and how long have you volunteered there:
• I am beginning my third year as a chairman for the United Way on behalf of Mayo Clinic Health System.
• I have been active as a Freeborn County Chamber Ambassador for about a year.
• I have been on the Planning Commission in Albert Lea just over a year.
• I have assisted with the Youth for Christ committee when asked for a couple of years
• I ring bells for the Salvation Army during the holidays.
Why do you volunteer? I grew up going to activities with my dad that he volunteered for. Having enjoyed my time with him helping others I am glad to continue having the opportunity to volunteer in numerous ways myself. I enjoy being involved in many activities and as a volunteer I am able to help others and see lives impacted in positive ways. It is very gratifying to see results and know you are a part of the outcome.
What was the last book you read? “Killing Lincoln” by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard.
What are your hobbies? Golfing, basketball, bowling and watching the Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves and Wild!
What’s your favorite movie? “Spaceballs,” but I enjoy just about any comedy.