Classic rock coming to Ross CenterPublished 12:00pm Thursday, March 7, 2013
A taste of classic rock is coming to the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center this weekend.absorbed
The Austin-based DC Drifters will perform with Kevin Eastburn and Deb Dahley at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. The show will feature the music of Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt and Sonny & Cher. Tickets are $15.
“It’s a pretty elite crew coming in,” said Dennis Charnecki, who sings and plays guitar for the DC Drifters.
The DC Drifters are a little more than a month removed from performing at the Surf Ballroom’s Winter Dance Party on Jan. 30 and 31. The Surf’s dance party featured people like Eric Burdon, Gary Busey, Peter Asher and Matthew & Gunnar Nelson.
“It was like rock ’n’ roll royalty there,” said.
Charnecki said about 1,700 people attended the first night of the dance party, which is an event that started in 1979 to honor legacies of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson. The three died in a plane crash on Feb. 3, 1959, after playing a show at the Surf Ballroom on Feb. 2.
The DC Drifters will play one of the few Buddy Holly songs the group performed at the Surf Ballroom earlier this year.
• The Albert Lea Civic Music Association presents a performance by Peter Simon at 7:30 p.m. at Albert Lea High School. Admission is by season ticket only.
• The 32nd annual KATE Radio Home & Recreation Show begins from 4 to 8 p.m. at Skyline Plaza. Parking and admission are free.
• Leighto & Wright’s St. Patty’s Day Celebration will be held at the Lighthouse Event Center. Tickets are $10 and are available at Hy-Vee, Stadheim Jewelers and the Lighthouse.
• The 53rd annual Wells Gun Traders Show will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at United South Central High School. The event will continue Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Admission is $5. The event will feature modern and antique guns, knives, coins and collectibles displayed on more than 300 tables.
• The 32nd annual KATE Radio Home & Recreation Show continues from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Skyline Plaza.
• The Freeborn County Humane Society will host the Spay-Ghetti Supper at Christ Episcopal Church from 5 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $6.50 and are available at the door. Music will be provided by Vic Gilbertson. All Money will go toward spay and neuter programs and help provide services for animals at the shelter.
• The 53rd annual Wells Gun Traders Show will continue Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The 32nd annual KATE Radio Home & Recreation Show continues from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Skyline Plaza.
• Calvary Baptist Church will host One Accord: A community night of worship from 6:30 to 8 p.m.