Health officials confirm 4 more flu deathsPublished 9:55am Friday, March 8, 2013
ST. PAUL — Minnesota has confirmed four more flu deaths.
The Minnesota Department of Health said the deaths were confirmed last week. That brings the number of flu-related deaths in Minnesota to 169 since the start of the influenza season.
The health department said 36 people were hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed flu last week. That’s up slightly from the previous week, when 31 people were hospitalized, but down significantly from the height of the flu outbreak, when hundreds of people per week were hospitalized.
Only one long-term care facility in Minnesota had a confirmed flu outbreak last week while six Minnesota schools reported outbreaks of influenza-like illness.