Fire reportedly started in wood-burning chimneyPublished 9:23am Friday, March 22, 2013
A home north of Albert Lea was damaged by fire Thursday night, in what officials said originated from a wood-burning chimney.
The fire, at 26763 740th Ave., reportedly started when fire from the chimney ignited linens in a nearby closet at about 10:35 p.m., according to the Freeborn County Sheriff’s Office.
When Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived at the house, they observed smoke coming from the roof and attic, according to a news release.
Firefighters from Clarks Grove, Manchester, Hartland and Albert Lea Township responded.
Freeborn County Sheriff Bob Kindler said homeowners Galen and Sandra Bolinger were able to safely evacuate from the house prior to the arrival of the deputies and firefighters.
Though there was not much damage visible from the exterior, Kindler said there was extensive damage on the interior.
No damages estimates were available as of Friday morning, and the fire remains under investigation.