Benefit planned for cancer survivorPublished 1:20pm Thursday, April 11, 2013
Lots of family and friends organized a benefit that they’re hoping many from the public will attend this Friday.
Friends and family of Cindy Nelson are holding a benefit from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday at Wedgewood Cove Golf Club, and all proceeds will go toward Nelson’s medical bills and expenses.
Nelson was diagnosed with endometrioid endometrial cancer in January and has since been through surgery and radiation. She will soon start chemotherapy. Her niece Cheyenne Lundak, one of the organizers of Friday’s event, said she hopes people come out to show Nelson that she doesn’t have to go through this fight alone. In fact, there will be T-shirts and other merchandise for sale with the slogan “No One Fights Alone” imprinted on them.
“We thought it was important for her to know she would never be alone,” Lundak said.
The evening starts at 5 p.m., with a dinner of pulled pork or sloppy joes with baked beans, chips and a drink. Wedgewood Cove will have a cash bar available. A silent auction, of about 300 items, will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Then a live auction starts at 7 p.m. There will also be a bake sale and some kids activities.
“Team Nelson is to support Cindy, and we encourage everyone to come out and support her and her fight,” Lundak said.
• The Albert Lea High School jazz band will present its annual concert at 7 p.m. in the commons. There is no admission fee. The high school’s show choir will also perform. Root beer floats will be served, and there will be an open area for dancing.
• Guitarist and composer Billy McLaughlin will rock the Lighthouse Event Center at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. Advance tickets are available at Marshall Street Music, Hy-Vee and Stadheim Jewelers in Albert Lea and Coffee House on Main in Austin.
• The Midwestern Hotel, at 2301 E. Main St. in Albert Lea, will hold a bluegrass music festival Friday through Sunday. Music starts at 7:30 p.m. Friday with more concerts throughout the weekend. A three-day pass is $25, and there are reduced rates for one-day admission.
• A benefit for Cindy Nelson will be from 5 to 9 p.m. at Wedgewood Cove Golf Club in Albert Lea.
• The Albert Lea Soccer Association will host a burger basket fundraiser from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Moose Lodge.
• The Albert Lea Art Center will host an open house for its Family Heirlooms & Collectibles Show from 1 to 3 p.m. The exhibit features items from local collectors. The show will continue through May 24. The open house is free and open to the public; refreshments will be served.
• Albert Lea’s Ascension Lutheran Church will host an aebleskiver supper from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Cost is $6.50 for adults and $3 for children age 12 and younger. The church is located at 1101 S. Highway 69.