Jury finds A.L. man guilty in taxi case

Published 9:06am Friday, April 12, 2013

A 12-member jury on Thursday found an Albert Lea man guilty of assaulting a taxi driver, stealing his taxi and then leading police on a chase in January.

The man, Quinten Duane Amos, 32, faces a presumptive prison sentence for the convictions because of his prior criminal history, said Assistant Freeborn County Attorney David Walker. Amos has more than a dozen previous arrests, including drug possession, theft, disorderly conduct, aggravated robbery and driving while intoxicated, among others.

Quinten Duane Amos
Quinten Duane Amos

Walker said in this trial, the jury found Amos guilty of misdemeanor assault, felony car theft and a felony charge of fleeing a police officer.

He had initially been charged with aggravated robbery and fleeing the officer.

Walker said because the jury did not find Amos guilty of aggravated robbery, he will probably face only a third of the time he may have been sentenced to otherwise.

The incident took place Jan. 12.

Court documents state Amos began striking an Albert Lea Taxi cab driver in the head about a block after he was picked up from 1801 Oakwood Terrace, telling the driver repeatedly that he wanted to go and threatening him.

At one point, Amos tried to climb into the front seat, at which time the cab driver quickly stopped the yellow Taurus station wagon taxi and ran.

As he ran, the driver called the cab dispatcher stating he had been assaulted, and then he ran to another vehicle to get help.

Officers found the car near the intersection of Madison Avenue and Front Street and was estimated to be driving at least double the posted 30 mph speed limit even after police attempted to pull him over.

He also reportedly drove through stop signs and a red light before pulling over on the wrong side of the road on Ermina Avenue.

The incident was caught on video in the cab.

He is scheduled to be sentenced at 3:30 p.m. May 23.