Sports MemoriesPublished 2:38pm Saturday, April 20, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Larry Sonnek threw a five-hit shutout for the Wells High School baseball team in their 5-0 victory over Alden. Tom Schultz had two hits and Chuck Schultz had three RBIs for Wells.
• The Minnesota Twins defeated Los Angeles 3-0 behind the three-hit pitching of Dick Stigman. Catcher Earl Battey and short stop Zoilo Versalles each had two hits for the Twins.
25 years ago – 1988
• Named to the 1987-88 Albert Lea Tribune All-Area boys’ basketball first team were Matt Potter of Alden-Conger-Freeborn, Scott Heggen and B. J. Fisher of Wells-Easton and Al Christoferson and Steve Bangh of Albert Lea. Named to the second team were Troy Janka of Ellendale-Geneva, Mike Roesler of New Richland-Hartland, Perry Goerish of South Central, Mike Heideman of Glenville-Emmons and Matt Sullivan of Albert Lea.
• Named to the 1987-88 Albert Lea Tribune All-Area girls’ basketball first team were Tina Wangsness of Ellendale-Geneva, Kay Molskness of South Central, Julie Coughlin of Albert Lea, Brigett Matter of Glenville-Emmons and Jill Thompson of New Richland-Hartland. Named to the second team were Amy Read of Northwood-Kensett, Laura Berkeland of South Central, Lisa Sveen of Glenville-Emmons, Joni Wright of Albert Lea and Joyce Schultz of Wells-Easton.
10 years ago – 2003
•The Albert Lea boys’ tennis team defeated Fairmont 5-2. Winning singles matches for the Tigers were Adam Luebke at No. 1, Conner Keyeski at No. 2 and Andrew Dyrdal at No. 3. Stephen Thorn and Greg Peterson won at No. 1 doubles and Micah Holt and Corey Dieser won at No. 2 doubles for the Tigers.
• Mallory Paulson had three hits, including two doubles, and four RBIs for Glenville-Emmons in their 14-13 victory.
• The Albert Lea boys’ golf team defeated Rochester Mayo 329-336 in the Big Nine Conference. Scoring for the Tigers were Josh Jones with a score of 80, Dan Breuer and Ross Stadheim each shot 82 and Ben Jones earned a score of 85.