Sports MemoriesPublished 2:02pm Saturday, April 27, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea High School track team defeated Austin 61-57. First-place finishers for the Tigers were Larry Matthies in the shot put and the discus, Bruce Gandrud in the 440-yard dash and Mike Weum in the 880-yard run.
• In Border League adult amateur baseball, Kiester defeated Alden 4-3 with Dale Haukoos the winning pitcher.
• Dick Davies Jr. was the medalist with a score of 73 for the Albert Lea golf team in their 304-343 win over Fairmont. Other scores for the Tigers were Dick Jones, Dexter Westrum and Craig Plante with 77.
• Winning pitcher John Goodmanson had two hits for the Albert Lea baseball team in its 7-5 win over Owatonna.
25 years ago – 1988
• In a Gopher Conference track meet, Glenville-Emmons defeated Medford 91-36. Stacy Williamson won the long jump, the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the 400-meter dash for Glenville-Emmons.
• The Albert Lea girls’ golf team improved to 2-1 for the season with a 198-223 win over Winona. Scoring for Albert Lea were Joni Wright, 43, Lisa Worke, 48, Melissa Boom, 50, and Lisa Christoferson and Leah Mattson, 53.
• The Albert Lea boys’ golf team defeated Rochester Mayo 308-320 and remained undefeated in the Big Nine Conference at 2-0. Scores for the Tigers were Mike Oothoudt, a co-medalist, 74, Chad Adams, 76, Dave Fligge, 77, Al Christoferson, 81, Buck Rasmussen, 83, and Steve Peterson, 85.
• Jill Gaetz hit a third home run, and June Light and Angie Olson had three hits each in the Albert Lea softball team’s 9-4 won over Rochester Mayo.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Albert Lea girls’ track team finished third in a meet with Mankato West and Winona. First-place finishes for Albert Lea were Emily Bartusek in the 800-meter run and Amy Ravenhorst in the 200-yard dash.
• Alden-Conger defeated Martin Luther 17-2 for its first win of the season in girls softball. Kendra Mathiason had three hits, Nicole Bute, Katie Jensen, Erin Bremseth and Heather Haukoos each had two hits for Alden-Conger.