Weather is wreaking havoc on spring sportsPublished 1:23am Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Rain doesn’t cause issues during the winter sports season, because all the action takes place inside climate-controlled gymnasiums.
Now, the calendar flipped to spring, a time where athletes and fans get to enjoy the great outdoors. It’s time for baseball, softball, track and field, golf and tennis.
The problem is that the great outdoors isn’t living up to its name. Albert Lea’s first two softball games have been postponed along with the baseball team’s season opener due to weather.
All 26 varsity events from the seven high schools in the Albert Lea Tribune’s coverage area were postponed Tuesday.
With a 90-percent chance of snow today and one-to-three inches of snow in the forecast for Thursday, games may get pushed even further back.
• The Albert Lea baseball team will make its second attempt at its season opener, while the softball team will make its third attempt. Both games are at Austin at 4 p.m. Thursday.
• The Albert Lea boys’ and girls’ track and field teams hope to be back in action at 2:15 Monday for the rescheduled Owatonna meet.
• The Tigers’ boys’ golf team plans to take the course next for a home triangular at Green Lea Golf Course at 2:30 p.m. April 18.
• The girls’ golf team tees off next in a meet hosted by Red Wing at the Mississippi National Golf Links at 12:30 p.m. April 18.
• The boys’ tennis team is hoping to take the court next at Austin at 4:30 p.m. Thursday.