Local letter carriers to collect food for largest one-day food drive in nationPublished 11:37am Thursday, May 9, 2013
Albert Lea carriers are asking for local help in collecting food donations for the National Association of Letter Carriers’ food drive.
The event is this Saturday and is the largest one-day food drive in the nation. The Albert Lea 718 branch of the national union has taken an active role in the drive, and this is the 19th year Albert Lea has participated. In 2012, Albert Lea carriers collected 9,350 pounds of food.
More than 70 million pounds of food were collected in 2012, making the total 1.2 billion pounds in the history of the event. City and rural carriers will collect food at or by your mailbox during the normal delivery of mail this Saturday. The collected food will be weighed at the post office and released to Albert Lea food shelves. Non-perishable food items will be accepted.
• A rummage and bake sale benefitting the Arc of Freeborn County will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the 4-H Building at the Freeborn County Fairgrounds. The event continues Saturday, and all proceeds benefit people with disabilities. The event is open to the public.
• Zion Lutheran Church in Albert Lea will host a salad luncheon from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for a $6 donation.
• The Young Eagles Flight Rally will be from 8 a.m. to noon at the Albert Lea Airport. The event gives youth ages 8 to 17 time to meet with pilots, discover how airplanes work and learn the importance of safety in flights. Registration begins at 7:45 a.m.
• A rummage and bake sale benefitting the Arc of Freeborn County will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the 4-H Building at the Freeborn County Fairgrounds. All proceeds benefit people with disabilities. The event is open to the public.
• A benefit for Diana Jensen will begin at 11 a.m. at the new livestock building at the Freeborn County Fairgrounds. A silent auction will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a live auction to follow. A bake sale will run from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. All BS band will play at 8:30 p.m., and Smokin’ Bros BBQ will serve a pulled pork dinner, and donations will be accepted. The event is a fundraiser for Jensen, who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Family and friends organized the event to help offset the cost of battling the disease.
• United Methodist Church in Albert Lea will host a Mardi Gras in May event to raise funds for its youth programs. A silent auction will be from 3 to 5:30 p.m., a sloppy joe supper will be from 5 to 6 p.m. with root beer floats to follow, then a live auction starts at 6:30 p.m. A donation of $10 will give participants a bid number, supper and root beer float. Donations will go toward the youth group’s mission trip to help rebuild homes damaged by hurricanes Katrina and Isaac.
• The Alden American Legion Post No. 404 will host a steak fry from 5 to 8 p.m. Menu includes 10-ounce ribeye steak, baked potato, cole slaw and garlic toast. Cost is $13.
• A Mother’s Night Out event will be held at the Albert Lea Knights of Columbus from 6 to 8 p.m. Menu includes steak filet, chicken tenders or shrimp with salad, dessert and coffee. Cost is $12. Guests and general public are welcome.