Sports MemoriesPublished 1:59pm Saturday, May 25, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea High School golf team won the District No. 2 title with a 314-321 victory over Austin. Scoring for the Tigers were medalist Dick Jones, 75, Dick Davies and Craig Plante, 80 each, and John Hurst 84.
• Glenville High School defeated Ellendale 7-1 and Emmons 4-2 to win the title in the West Sub-District No. 2 baseball playoff. Mike Ferguson was the winning pitcher in game one. Dave Hanson had two hits, and Tom Struck picked up the win in the second game for Glenville.
• The Albert Lea High School track and field team won the District No. 2 title by outscoring Austin 81 1/2 to 63. First place finishers for the Tigers were Larry Matthies in the shot put and Rick Jahns in the discus. Les Honstad of Freeborn won the 880-yard run.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Northwood-Kensett boys’ track and field team won the District No. 2 title in Iowa. Winners for Northwood-Kensett were Darryl Woodard in the shot put and Chad Walser in the 110-meter hurdles.
• The Albert Lea girls’ track and field team defeated Faribault 75-53 in a Big Nine Conference meet. First place winners for Albert Lea were Sara Hartman in the 1,600- and 3,200-meter runs, Amy Jensen in the shot put and discus, and Jenny Westcott in the 200-meter dash and the long jump.
• Mark Stonebach pitched a three-hitter for the Alden-Conger-Freeborn baseball team in its 8-3 win over Blooming Prairie. Tim Staloch had three hits for A-C-F.
10 years ago – 2003
• Albert Lea High School boy swimmers who earned All-State and All-Conference honors for the 2002-03 season were Ben Schreiber, Ethan Berg, Josh Elwood, Mitch Johnson, Colton Jensen, Ryan Lowe and Ben Matheson.
• The New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva baseball team raised their season record to 18-3 after defeating Hayfield 2-1 in the first game in the sub-district. Mike Hullopeter was the winning pitcher, and Matt Wenzel had three hits for NRHEG.
• The Albert Lea Colonels defeated Northfield 3-2 in their opening baseball game of the season. Isaac Walton was the winning pitcher.