Scholarship golf event Saturday at Green LeaPublished 10:50am Thursday, June 27, 2013
The eighth annual Corey Goodnature Memorial Scholarship Golf Classic will be at Green Lea Golf Course this Saturday.
Registration and a silent auction start at 11 a.m., followed by opening ceremonies at 12:30 p.m. The shotgun start is at 1 p.m. Then a meal starts at 5 p.m., and the silent auction closes. The live auction begins at 6:30 p.m.
The yearly event has raised almost $100,000 for scholarships. The scholarships are given in Corey Goodnature’s name. Goodnature was a chief warrant officer three, a pilot and flight lead for the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. He died June 28, 2005, in Afghanistan when his helicopter was shot down by enemy fire during combat operations. His parents are Don and Deb Goodnature of Clarks Grove.
The event is open to the public, and anyone is welcome to participate in golfing, the dinner or the auctions.
• The 2013 Minnesota H.O.G. Rally continues at the Freeborn County Fairgrounds. The event includes adventure rides, vendors and other activities.
• The Phoenix Bike Rally continues at Harmony Park near Geneva. The event started today and continues through Saturday. Tickets at the gate are $60, which includes camping. The event is for adults ages 21 and over and includes concerts, a tattoo contest, a biker rodeo on Saturday and a bike show at 10 a.m. Saturday.
• The Albert Lea Art Center hosts its 2013 Art & Garden Tour at gardens in Albert Lea, including one in Geneva, from 4 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 and are available at the art center, Addie’s Floral & Gift, Sterling Drug and Hy-Vee. There will be a different artist featured at each garden.
• The Pelican Breeze II will hold a brats and burger night. The cruise leaves at 6 p.m., and reservations are needed by 4 p.m. by calling Albert Lea Parks & Rec at 377-4370. Cost is $20, and Green Mill will be serving food and beverages.
• The Albert Lea Farmers Market will be open from 9 a.m. to noon in the North Broadway parking lot.
• The 2013 Art & Garden Tour continues from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at gardens in Albert Lea, with one in Geneva. A different artist will be featured at each home. The event is coordinated by the Albert Lea Art Center.
• The Albert Lea-Freeborn County Chamber of Commerce and its members will host Downtown Saturdays starting this Saturday and continuing through Aug. 24, with the exception of July 6. Complimentary hot dogs and water will go to the first 100 downtown shoppers at a featured location each week. Service will be available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., or until the products are gone. Locations will vary week to week based on construction. Call the chamber at 373-3938 or visit its Facebook page to find the location.
• Good Samaritan Society of Albert Lea will host a community carnival from 1 to 4 p.m. There is no charge to attend, but a food donation is welcomed for the food drive. There will be a watermelon eating contest at 2:30 p.m. and other activities like face painting, a petting zoo and games.
• The Wells Municipal Airport hosts a fly-in breakfast, sponsored by Harry’s Hawks and the Wells Flying Club from 7 a.m. to noon. The public is invited for plane rides and a breakfast of pancakes, French toast, sausage, eggs, juice and coffee. The airport is two miles west of Wells on Highway 109.
• The Albert Lea American Legion Auxiliary will host a breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Proceeds go toward the high school scholarship fund. Menu includes pancakes, fruit cup, potatoes, scrambled eggs and a beverage.
• The Pelican Breeze II hosts a public cruise at 1:30 p.m. No reservations are needed, and cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children age 5 and younger.