Sports MemoriesPublished 6:00am Sunday, June 2, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea High School track and field team placed sixth in the Big Nine Conference meet with 27 points. First place finishers for the Tigers were Larry Mathies in the shot put and Rog Goreth in the broad jump.
• Albert Lea graduates Lother Columbus and Lowell Syverson won letters at Wartburg College in track. Columbus holds the record time in the mile and two-mile runs at Wartburg.
• In first round games in the District No. 2 baseball playoffs, Glenville defeated Emmons 10-1 and Austin topped Albert Lea 9-1. Tom Struck was the winning pitcher for Glenville and Andy Knutson had three RBIs and two hits. Dave Hartman pitched the win for Austin. Austin defeated Glenville 7-1 to win the district title.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Albert Lea baseball team lost to Lakeville 11-7 in the first round of the double elimination tournament in Region 1AA. Faribault defeated the Tigers 6-5 to eliminate Albert Lea. Phil Adams hit a two-run homer in game two for the Tigers.
• Glenville-Emmons defeated Southland 12-2 to advance to the semi-final round of the District 2A baseball tournament. Brian Yost pitched a two-hitter for Glenville-Emmons. Greg Severtson and Jeff Vierkant each had two hits for the Wolverines. In the semifinal round, Alden-Conger-Freeborn defeated Glenville-Emmons 14-10, and Ellendale-Geneva-New Richland-Hartland defeated Austin/Pacelli 3-2. Jeremy Johnson hit a two-run home run for Alden-Conger-Freeborn. Troy Pederson homered and was the winning pitcher for EGNRH. EGNRH won the District 2A title with a 6-5 victory over Alden-Conger-Freeborn. Troy Pederson was the winning pitcher and hit a two-run home run.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Albert Lea baseball team defeated Farmington 9-3 in the Section 1AAA tournament. Derek Goodnature was the winning pitcher. Ryan Truesdell had three hits for the Tigers. The Tigers lost 10-5 and were eliminated.
• The Albert Lea boys’ golf team finished in fourth place in Section 1AA. Dan Breuer won the individual crown with a score of 139 and advanced to state. Other scores for the Tigers in their Section meet were Adam Elseth, 154, Josh Jones, 158, Ross Stadheim, 170, and Ben Jones, 157.