Sports MemoriesPublished 2:13pm Sunday, June 16, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea High School boys’ golf team finished in third place at the Minnesota State Golf Tournament. Minneapolis Roosevelt finished first with a 483 score to St. Paul Johnson’s 487 and the Tigers 491. The Tigers were led by Dick Jones with 150, Craig Plante with 169 and Dick Davies with 172.
• In the Albert Lea Slow Pitch League, the Queen 45’s team defeated the Jaycees 10-7. Leading the Queen’s team were Chuck Anderson with four hits and Dick Ackland with three hits.
• In the National Division of the Church Softball League John Willmert threw a two-hitter for Zion Lutheran in their 9-1 victory over Methodist. Conger defeated Hartland 8-2 behind Ken Heine’s home run and three-hit pitching.
25 years ago – 1988
• Named to the All-Gopher Conference Softball Team were the following: Krista Paulson, Kim Anderson, Wendy Lerberg, Julie Stieglbauer, Tara Stollard and Jill Lorez from Ellendale-New Richland; Briget Matter, Jennifer Allison, Kim Anderson and Lisa Sveen from Glenville-Emmons; Dara Dooly, Annette Starmon and Michelle Peterson from Blooming Prairie; Amy Milow, Ann Cowdin and Darcy Ewert from Janesville; Terri Brekke and Kari Roemhildt from Waterville-Elysian.
• Results from the Minnesota State Track and Field Meet for Albert Lea participants included the following: Steve Bangh third in the 400-meter dash; Sara Hartman third in the 3,200-meter run and seventh in the 1,600-meter run; Steph Hartman fifth in the 3,200-meter run; David Rowe, Brad Molskness, Eric Palmer and Bangh seventh in the 4×400-meter relay.
10 years ago – 2003
• At the Class AA Minnesota State Track and Field Meet, junior Emily Bartusek of Albert Lea, finished sixth in the 400-meter dash. In Class A, Amy Christenson of United South Central placed seventh in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles and Nicole Lonning of New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva placed seventh in the shot put.
• Winning pitcher Brandon Klukow threw a two-hitter and Don Graves had three RBIs for the Albert Lea VFW baseball team in their 10-0 win over Waseca.