Sports MemoriesPublished 1:41pm Saturday, June 22, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• In Five-Star Legion baseball, Mike Hatle threw a no-hitter and had 16 strike outs for New Richland in its 3-0 win over Ellendale. Kiester shut out Elmore 1-0 behind the one-hit and 12-strike-out pitching of Dale Houkoos.
• Albert Lea High School graduate Ron Dahlen, a junior at St. Olaf College, earned a letter in track and field.
• Dick Anderson hit a home run in the 11th inning to lead the Albert Lea Packers to a 1-0 victory over Mankato in a Southern Minnesota League baseball game.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Glenville American Legion baseball team defeated the Albert Lea VFW Travelers team 9-2. Jamie Beck picked up the win, and Brian Yost hit a three-run home run.
• The Albert Lea American Legion baseball team swept a double header from Sturgis 7-5 and 11-10. Mike Schlitz was the winning pitcher in the first game, and Steve Cork and Troy Hanson each had three hits Albert Lea. Schlitz hit a two-run homer, Hanson had three hits and Mark Calderon was the winning pitcher in the second game.
• The Alden American Legion baseball team defeated Glenville 9-5. Rob Redman and Aaron Phillips led Alden with two hits each.
• In a North Iowa Conference baseball game Northwood-Kensett defeated Garner-Hayfield 11-1. Winning pitcher Todd Helgeson had three hits for Northwood-Kensett.
10 years ago – 2003
• Named the Albert Lea All-Area Baseball Player of the Year was pitcher Mike Hullopeter of New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva. Named as Coach of the Year was Jeff Reese of NRHEG. Named to the All-Area Baseball Team were Derek Goodnature and David Villarreal of Albert Lea; Brett Penning of Alden-Conger; Wade Flattum, Mitch Meier and Isaiah Parry of Glenville-Emmons; Joey Balfe, Jason Churchill, Mike Hullopeter and Zak Tracy of NRHEG; Trevor Haugh, David Neubauer, Adam Schrader and Mike Soma of United South Central.
• Albert Lea graduate Melissa Roche, a junior at the University of Minnesota, was named second team All-American by the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association. In the last two seasons she earned two All-American honors, two All-Region honors and two All-Big Ten honors.