Sports MemoriesPublished 2:38pm Saturday, June 29, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• In the Albert Lea Girls’ Softball League the Rockettes defeated the Tigerettes 20-9 and raised their league record to 4-0. Millie Voss and Alice Peterson led the Rockettes with three hits each. The Twisters won their game against Wilson 10-6. Jean Schuhmacher homered and Marie Carlin and Max Bacthle each had three hits for the Twisters.
• The Minnesota Twins defeated the Detroit Tigers 10-6. Harmon Killebrew hit his 16th homerun and Jimmy Hall also homered and had three RBIs.
• Catcher Earl Battey and shortstop Zoilo Versalles of the Minnesota Twins were voted to the American League starting lineup for the All-Star baseball game.
25 years ago – 1988
• Senior first baseman Brad Tullberg of the Albert Lea baseball team was named Big Nine All-Conference. He had 27 hits in 54 at-bats, 21 RBIs, three home runs and 16 walks.
• Named to the All-Border League Softball Team from Alden-Conger-Freeborn were Jolene Ignaszewski, Lori Jensen, Jenny Stenzel and Darcy Evenson. Receiving honorable mention from A-C-F were Hollie Pierce and Rache Deyle.
• In North Iowa Conference high school baseball Lake Mills defeated Britt 13-4. Chad Tweed was the winning pitcher and Andy Bowman, Jeff Schoonover and Bob Rognes each had two hits.
10 years ago – 2003
• Earning Big Nine All-Conference honors from the Albert Lea track and field team were Steph Overgaard, Emily Bartusek and Amy Ravenhorst. Jasey Porter received honorable mention.
• The Albert Lea U-12 soccer team won two of three games. They lost to Rosemount 3-1 with Heather Greibrok scoring the goal for Albert Lea. Albert Lea defeated Eagen in the second game 4-2 with goals scored by Marian Maras, Abby Arends, Jenna Christensen and Annalise VanErkel. Jenna Christensen scored all three goals in the third game, a 3-1 win for Albert Lea.
• Albert Lea VFW Post 447 defeated the Rochester Knights 8-7 in game N0. 1 and 6-2 in the second game. Don Graves had three hits for Albert Lea in the first game. Derek Goodnature was the winning pitcher in the second game, and Travis Klatt had two hits.