Sports MemoriesPublished 4:30pm Saturday, July 6, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• In National Division of the Albert Lea Church Softball League, Hartland defeated Zion Lutheran 5-0 behind the one-hit pitching of Ken Sibilrud. In the second game of the night, Ken Heine also threw a one-hitter for Conger in their win over Grace Lutheran.
• The Albert Lea American Legion baseball team won a 3-0 shut out against Mason City. Dennis Tostenson was the winning pitcher, and second baseman Bill Sutherland led the offense with two RBIs.
• Home runs by John Goryl, Jim Hall and Rich Rollins led the Minnesota Twins to a 7-5 victory over the Baltimore Orioles.
25 years ago – 1988
• Named to the All-Border League High School Baseball Team from South Central were Scott Oeleriking, Matt Beckman, Steve Benson and Brian Ehlert; from Alden-Conger-Freeborn were Jeremy Johnson and Chad Ramirez; from Glenville-Emmons were Brian Yost and Greg Severtson; from Lyle were Scott Rohne and Dan Williamson.
• Named to the American Legion baseball First-Team All-Region 1-A were Travis Massey and Mike Roesler. Named to the All-Region Second Team were Tom Richards and Troy Pederson.
• The Albert Lea American Legion baseball team raised its season record to 5-3 after defeating Kasson 9-5. Tom Butts had three hits, including a home run and a double. Mark Drews and Tom Hoyt each had two hits for Albert Lea.
• The Minnesota Twins defeated the Milwaukee Brewers 8-2 with Charley Lea, Gary Gaetti and Randy Bush hitting home runs.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Albert Lea U17 boys’ soccer team improved to 7-1-2 in league after handing Winona its first loss in league play 2-1 and shutting out Lakeville 5-0. Nate Lombardi and Ben Frayne scored goals in the Winona game. Jeremy Jacobson scored three goals in the Lakeville game.
• Matt Trygstad had four hits, James Gonzalez and Aric Attig had three hits each for the Albert Lea Colonels in their 7-6 baseball win over Blue Earth.