Sports MemoriesPublished 9:34pm Saturday, July 13, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Dave Hartman threw a one-hitter and had 13 strike outs for the Austin Junior American Legion baseball team in their 7-0 victory over Albert Lea.
• In a Faribault County American Legion baseball game, Kiester defeated Bricelyn-Frost 9-3. Winning pitcher Dale Haukoos hit a triple. Dale Wacholz had three hits, including a triple for Kiester.
• The Tribune defeated Polly Meadows 14-2 in an Albert Lea Slow Pitch softball game. Eldon DeVary was the winning pitcher. Roger Jackson homered for the Tribune.
• Orv Jordahl hit four home runs for Our Savior’s in their 17-16 victory over Emmons in an Albert Lea Church League softball game.
25 years ago – 1988
• Melissa Boom, a junior at Albert Lea High School, won first place in the girls 15-16 age bracket of the Minnesota PGA Junior Golf Tournament.
• In Four Star American Legion League baseball, Alden defeated Glenville-Emmons 5-2. Tim Staloch hit a three-run homer and Wes Stoneback picked up the win.
• Northwood-Kensett defeated Britt 8-7 in a North Iowa Conference softball game. Jolene Johnson had three hits, Jessica Gentz, Rene Kreggenbrink and Brenda Tenold each had two hits for Northwood-Kensett.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Minnesota Thunder AAU girls’ basketball team won the Gold Star of the North State Games. All girls were from Albert Lea and Austin. Team members were Amanda Arends, Anna Hebrink, Leah Walters, Cara Thorn, Kat Ladwig, Niki Hendrickson, Liz Thompson, Hali Hendrickson, Whitney Wilson and Jessica Sosebee.
• The Albert Lea U11 girls’ soccer team defeated Apple Valley 4-0 and raised their season record to 10-2-2 and their league mark to 7-1-2. Scoring goals for Albert Lea were Abbey Arends (2), Jenna Bowman and Madi Passingham.
• Butch Donovan of Albert Lea scored a hole -in-one at the Albert Lea Green Lea Golf Course on the 131-yard 13th hole.
• The Blooming Prairie American Legion baseball team defeated Glenville-Emmons 7-6. Mitch Meier and Michael Greibrok each had four hits for Glenville-Emmons.