Sports MemoriesPublished 1:38pm Saturday, July 27, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea Packers defeated Mason City 7-1 in a Southern Minnesota League baseball game. Dick Anderson hit a three-run homer and had two hits for the Packers. Harold Pierce and Jack Woodside each had two hits for Albert Lea.
• The Minnesota Twins shut out the Cleveland Indians 9-0 and 5-0 in a double header. In the first game, Don Mincher hit two home runs, and Rich Rollins and John Goryl hit one each. Dick Stigman was the winning pitcher in the first game. Pitcher Jim Katt and Jimmy Hall both hit home runs in the second game.
25 years ago – 1988
• Jon Christian of Albert Lea won the 85th annual Minnesota Men’s State Amateur Golf championship.
• Brian Yost pitched the Glenville-Emmons American Legion baseball team to a first-round win over Alden 8-2 in the Subdistrict-D playoffs. Glenville-Emmons lost to the Austin B team 3-1 and was eliminated from further play.
• Named to the All-North Iowa Conference baseball First Team were Paul Brackey and Chad Tweed from Lake Mills and Ken Stading and Todd Helgeson from Northwood-Kensett. Named to the second team were Bob Rogness and Andy Bowman from Lake Mills and Russ Engstler from Northwood-Kensett.
10 years ago – 2003
• First-place winners in the Thursday Afternoon Senior Bowling League season-ending playoffs at Holiday Lanes in Albert Lea were Evelyn Sipple, Ida Mildenstein, Ken Williamson, Jim Frydenlund and John Sullivan.
• The Albert Lea Elks U17 boys’ soccer team qualified for the state tournament. Team members were Tyler Weise, Shane Tukua, Conner Keyeski, Ethan Ber, Kurtis Bohrnstedt, Jake Levison, Brady Plantage, Mitch Kortz, Joe Squires, Jacob Clark, Jeremy Jacobson, Justin McGinnes, Natem Lombardi, Ben Frayne, Andy Stapleton and Dustin Boyer.
• Chris Baas of Albert Lea won the Green Lea Golf Course Club Championship for the sixth time. Marlene Overgaard won her second ladies’ title.