Weekend Planner: Country music making a stop in Albert LeaPublished 3:30pm Thursday, July 25, 2013
Miles and miles of memories are coming to a stage in Albert Lea this Friday evening.
Roger Tibbs, country singer and yodeler from New Zealand, and longtime country entertainers Tex and Mary Schutz will perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Marion Ross Performing Arts Center.
The two acts have been seen on the TV show “Midwest Country.” Tibbs is well-known for his singing ability and story sharing. Tex and Mary will perform their signature songs, smooth harmonies and jokes about marriage and aging.
Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at the door or online at www.actonbroadway.com.
• The Pelican Breeze II will hold a brats and burger night. The cruise leaves at 6 p.m., and reservations are needed by 4 p.m. by calling the Albert Lea Parks and Recreation Department at 377-4370. Cost is $20, and Green Mill will be serving food and beverages.
• The Freeborn County Historical Village hosts “The Visit” at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for student.
• The Marion Ross Performing Arts Center hosts the Miles of Memories show at 7:30 p.m. The show includes performing by Tex and Mary Schutz with Roger Tibbs.
• The 13th annual BOSS Ride starts with registration at 9 a.m., and the ride begins at 10 a.m. at Riverland Community College’s east campus. The ride has raised more than $45,000 for scholarships in its first 12 years.
• The Albert Lea Farmers Market will be open from 9 a.m. to noon in the North Broadway parking lot.
• Freeborn’s Oakview Golf Course hosts a Golf for the Cure event. The Get Your Pink On Committee organizes the yearly event that raises funds for Susan G. Komen, a breast cancer research foundation. The event is a four-woman scramble of nine holes.
• The Albert Lea-Freeborn County Chamber of Commerce and its members will host Downtown Saturdays this Saturday and continuing through Aug. 24. Complimentary hot dogs and water will go to the first 100 downtown shoppers at a featured location each week. Service will be available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., or until the products are gone. Locations will vary week to week based on construction. Call the chamber at 373-3938 or visit its Facebook page to find the location.
• The Freeborn County Historical Village hosts “The Visit” with shows at 1 and 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for student.
• The Albert Lea American Legion will host a breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Menu includes pancakes, sausage, fruit cup, potatoes, eggs and a beverage. Cost is $7.
• The Freeborn County Historical Village hosts “The Visit” at 1 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for student.
• The Pelican Breeze II hosts a public cruise at 1:30 p.m. No reservations are needed, and cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children age 5 and younger.