Sports MemoriesPublished 1:57pm Saturday, August 3, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Trades and Labor defeated the VFW 8-5 in the Albert Lea City Softball League. Adrian Yokiel was the winning pitcher and Cannonball Nelson homered for Trades and Labor. Trades and Labor won the regular season for the third straight year.
• Sis Knudson picked up the win and Jane Christenson hit a home run for the Rockettes in their 17-4 victory over the Twisters in an Albert Lea Girls’ City Softball League game.
• Scotsman defeated Malepsy Realty 21-13 in the first game of a best-of-three playoff for the championship in City Slow Pitch. Buster Dunn homered for Scotsman, and Bill Malepsy also homered for Malepsy Realty.
• Camilo Pascual raised his record to 12-6 as the Minnesota Twins were victorious over the Kansas City Athletics 10-3. Jimmie Hall drove in five runs and hit his 15th home run. Rich Rollins also homered for the Twins.
25 years ago – 1988
• Named to the All-North Iowa Conference Softball second team were Michelle Cavett, Shawn Stelter and Heater Madson from Lake Mills.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Albert Lea U13 girls’ soccer team defeated Fridley 4-1 in the first game at the Minnesota State Tournament. Scoring goals for Albert Lea were Amy Marka, Katie Dooley, Lacey Pederson and Kelly Cook. Albert Lea shut out Eden Prairie 1-0 in their second round game. Amy Marka scored the only goal in the game.
• The Albert Lea U18 girls’ soccer team finished second at the Minnesota State Tournament after losing to Shakopee 1-0.
• The Albert Lea Elks U17 boys’ soccer team finished in third place at the Minnesota State Tournament. They finished the season with a record of 21-3-2.
• The Albert Lea U13 traveling baseball team qualified for the Minnesota State Tournament. Team members included Casey Woodside, Jared Hughes, Matt Hockinson, Joel Stenseth, Jordan Hanson, Dylan Porter, Dave Everhard, Aaron Payne, Derek Walk, Louie Grossman, Jared Matson and Adam Royce.