Sports MemoriesPublished 3:33pm Saturday, August 17, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Smith-Douglas softball team won its third straight City League playoff title after defeating Cabin 5-4. Ken Sibilrud was the winning pitcher.
• Malepsy Realty, the Albert Lea City Slow-Pitch playoff champions, will play in the Minnesota State Tournament. Team members were Jack Greengo, Delano Hovey, Tom Malepsy, Tom Benson, Dick Hassler, Bill Danielson, Dan Donovan, Dick Hromadko, Gary Sandon, Jim Malepsy, Dick Montei, Bill Malepsy, Jack Swanson and Dave Donovan.
• Wells evened their State Line League baseball playoff with Kiester 1-1 after defeating Kiester 4-1.
• Hartland defeated Zion Lutheran 6-5 in the National Division of the Church League softball playoffs. Carl Hanson hit two home runs and Curt Hanson was the winning pitcher. John Leininger homered for Zion. Mansfield defeated First Lutheran 10-8 in the American Division.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Albert Lea Spurs soccer team won the Southern Minnesota League regular season title and the playoffs. Team members were Keith Rock, Roul Gueman, Alfredo Juarez, Steve Parry, Chris Fierro, Jim Kinder, Roberto Romo, Vic Guerra, Joe Fierro, Stewart Perry, Bill Scherling, John Acovino, Dave Furness, Justin Springbord, Steve Kinder, Hamilton Peterson and Dave Thompson.
• Kent Hrbek hit his 22nd home run for the Minnesota Twins in their 4-1 win over the Detroit Tigers. Bert Blyleven picked up the win on the mound.
10 years ago – 2003
• Doug Olson of Albert Lea won the championship flight in three extra holes in the Minnesota State American Legion Golf Tournament at the Green Lea Golf Course in Albert Lea.
• Albert Lea High School graduate Gretta Melsted was named the head softball coach at Culver – Stockton College in Canton, Missouri.
• Richard Wood Products of Geneva finished 2-2 in pool play in the International Softball Congress World Tournament. They won their first game 5-2 over Saskatoon behind home runs by Brett Richards and Shawn Hearn. They lost the second game 2-1 to Lafayette Pub from St. Louis, Mo. They defeated the Bloomington, Illinois, Stix 11-1 and were eliminated in game No. 4 by Waterloo, Ontario, 16-2.