Sports MemoriesPublished 12:36pm Saturday, September 7, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Albert Lea dentist Dr. Jarvis Knutson defeated five-time winner Ole Williamson 6-5 to win the 35th annual Shortstop Golf Tournamernt.
• The Albert Lea High School football team won its opening Big Nine Conference game 10-7. Bruce Olson scored the touchdown and ran for 91 yards for the Tigers. John Hegland kicked a 14-yard field goal with 48 seconds left in the game for the victory.
• The Glenville High School football team opened its season with a 21-0 win over Emmons. Touchdowns were scored by Tom Struck, Dick Offenhauser and Ron Kycek.
25 years ago – 1988
• Jon Christian of Albert Lea won the 60th annual Shortstop Golf Tournament over Gene Peterson.
• The ALHS volleyball team defeated Southland 3-1 by scores of 11-15, 15-11, 15-9 and 17-15. Meg Mikulich had six ace serves, and Becky Mattick had eight ace hits for Albert Lea.
• Corey Schriever and Mike Isaacson scored two touchdowns and Chad Tweed one for the Lake Mills football team in its 33-21 win over Manly North Central, now known as Central Springs.
• The ALHS football team was defeated by Faribault 24-14. Matt Guse and Shane Arett scored touchdowns for the Tigers.
10 years ago – 2003
• Chris Baas of Albert Lea won the 76th annual Shortstop Golf Tournament for the third straight year and fourth year overall by defeating Mick Hockinson, a two time winner.
• The ALHS girls’ soccer team won its first game of the season after two losses 3-1 over Rochester John Marshall. Scoring goals for Albert Lea were Katie Dooley, Jenny Birkhofer and Keily Schreiber.
• In a seven-overtime football game, New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva defeated Gibbon-Fairfax-Winthrop 47-39. Joe Balfe led NRHEG with 105 rushing yards.
• The United South Central/Alden-Conger cross country team won the 20-team Mountain Lake Invitational with 55 points to second place Fairmont’s 61 points.