Sports MemoriesPublished 4:47pm Saturday, September 14, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The following Albert Lea High School graduates will be playing college football for the 1963-64 season: Jeff Brooke, guard at Northwestern University in the Big Ten Conference; Rich Oliphant, quarterback at the State College of Iowa in Cedar Falls; Dave Reynen, offensive guard at Central College in Pella, Iowa; Jim Thompson, tackle at University of North Dakota and Del Bosacker, center at Mankato State College.
• The ALHS football team shut out Owatonna 21-0. Dave Muller scored two touchdowns and gained 56 yards on 18 carries, Bruce Olson scored a touchdown and gained 113 yards and Bob Reynen intercepted two passes for the Tigers.
• In a Gopher Conference football game, Ellendale High School defeated Morristown 16-0. Tim Thompson and Mike Phillips scored touchdowns for Ellendale.
25 years ago – 1988
• The ALHS volleyball team improved to 2-0 for the season with a 3-1 win over Fairmont by scores of 15-3, 12-15, 15-0 and 15-11. Amy Salisbury was 22-for-23 serving with four aces and Becky Mattick had 14 ace hits.
• Mike Allen gained 118 yards on 22 carries for Alden-Conger in its 19-6 victory over Martin County West.
• The ALHS girls’ tennis team defeated Mankato West 6-1. Winners for Albert Lea in singles were Kelly Lauman, Jenny Volkenant and Lisa Worke. Doubles winners were the teams of Jenni Breitholtz and Jill Gaetze, Shari Adams and Vicki Oliver, and Angie Casterton and Shannon Lauman.
10 years ago – 2003
• The ALHS football team defeated the Winona Winhawks 13-6 for its first victory after 40 straight losses. Ryan Truesdell scored two touchdowns for the Tigers.
• The ALHS girls’ soccer team shut out the Austin Packers 5-0. Goalie Annie Berger had her first varsity shutout. Scoring goals for Albert Lea were Laura Hillman, Katie Dooley, Kelly Schreiber, Amy Marka and Stacy Armstrong.
• The ALHS girls’ swimming team defeated Winona 95-33. Samantha Cole won the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle.
• Lee Nelson and Eric Parker scored touchdowns for Northwood-Kensett in its season opening football win over Graettinger 16-6.