Sports MemoriesPublished 2:16pm Saturday, September 28, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Camilo Pascual won his 20th game of the year for the Minnesota Twins when they won 6-1. Harmon Killebrew hit his 45th home run for the Twins.
• The Mankato State and the State College of Iowa football teams tied 14-14. Albert Lea High School graduate Del Bosacker played center for Mankato State, and ALHS graduate Rich Oliphant was quarterback for State College of Iowa.
• Terry Adams and Dick Offenhauser scored touchdowns for the Glenville High School football team in its 14-0 win over Le Roy.
• Mankato defeated ALHS 19-7 in a Big Nine Conference football game. The Tigers scored on a 59-yard pass from quarterback John Hegland to Steve Jerdee.
25 years ago – 1988
• Team Aragon won the Laker Men’s Softball League title. Team members were Jeff Dugstad, Manny Cantu, Bruce Buboltz, Danny Caballero, Fred Renchin, Eddy Shumann, Tom Hanson, Randy Brackey, Dale Lunde, Horns Hoium, Dick Hansen, Byron Jensen and Bruce Riggle.
• In a North Iowa Conference football game, Northwood-Kensett defeated Buffalo Center 14-0. Russ Engstler scored both touchdowns for the Vikings.
• The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Chicago Bears 31-7. Minnesota quarterback Jerry Kramer threw two touchdown passes to Anthony Carter and one to Hassan Jones.
10 years ago – 2003
• Jeremy Jacobson scored two goals for the ALHS soccer team in its 3-1 victory over Winona.
• In a Homecoming football game, Glenville-Emmons defeated Alden-Conger 32-14. Eli Riggle scored two touchdowns and gained 70 rushing yards. Mike Yocom scored two touchdowns and Alex Hansen one for the Wolverines. Scott Martinson gained 70 yards and scored one touchdown for the Knights.
• The New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva volleyball team defeated Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton 3-2 by scores of 18-25, 23-25, 26-24, 25-23 and 15-6. Emily Hagen had 13 kills for the Panthers.
• The Minnesota Twins won the AL Central Division title and their 10th straight game when they defeated Cleveland 4-1. Shannon Stewart had two RBIs, and Cristian Guzman homered for the Twins.