Sports MemoriesPublished 12:40pm Saturday, October 5, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea High School football team defeated Faribault 33-6 and raised its Big Nine Conference record to 4-1. Bruce Olson of Albert Lea blocked a Faribault field goal, recovered the ball at the 1-yard-line and ran 99 yards for a touchdown.
• South Dakota quarterback Ron Meyer, a graduate of Wells High School, completed nine of 10 passes for 147 yards and two touchdowns in a 54-14 victory over Colorado State College.
• The Wells High School football team lost 14-6 to Windom for its first loss after 30 straight wins. Bob Colby of Wells scored on a 33-yard pass from Tom Schultz.
• Stan Musial of the St. Louis Cardinals announced his retirement from baseball at the end of the 1963 season. The 42-year-old outfielder won seven NL batting titles and three Most Valuable Player awards.
25 years ago – 1988
• In a triangular cross country meet, ALHS defeated Mankato West 38-18 and Faribault 33-22. Placing for ALHS were Sara Hartman, first; Steph Hartman, third; Amy Stay, fourth; Robin Hays, sixth; Jenna Seul, 11th; Betty Olivera, 16th and Michelle Sayre, 21st.
• The ALHS volleyball team lost to Rochester Mayo 3-1 by scores of 15-6, 4-15, 15-4 and 15-10. Meg Mikulich had seven ace hits, and Pam Stoltz had four for Albert Lea.
• Glenville-Emmons defeated Elmore 3-1 by scores of 13-15, 15-6, 15-11 and 15-6. Kim Anderson was 33-for-34 serving for Glenville-Emmons.
10 years ago – 2003
• The ALHS girls’ soccer team outshot Austin High School 23-6 but had to settle for a 1-1 tie. Katie Dooley scored for the Tigers with an assist from Amy Marka.
• In the opening round of Section 2AA tennis, the ALHS girls’ team defeated Mankato East 4-3. Winning for Albert Lea were Karen Leonard at No. 2 and Dezeray Jacobs at No. 4 singles and the doubles teams of Ashley Helgerson and Nicole Rafdal at No. 1 and Amanda Rose and Kristin Wulff at No. 2.