Sports MemoriesPublished 6:13am Sunday, October 27, 2013
50 years ago – 1963
• The Rochester John Marshall football team won the Big Nine Conference title after defeating Albert Lea 21-6. Jim Bratvold scored the Tigers lone touchdown. The Tigers finished with a 5-2 conference record and tied Austin for second place.
• The New Richland football team defeated Ellendale 25-0 and tied Blooming Prairie for first place with a 5-1 record in the Gopher League. Scoring touchdowns for the Cardinals were Jim O’Hara, Mike Hatle, Frank Dueenes and Perry Haugen.
• Alden won the Border League football title with an undefeated season at 7-0 after defeating Elmore 40-0.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Albert Lea High School doubles team of Jill Gaetz and Jenny Volkenant advanced to the Minnesota State High School Tennis Tournament in Section 1AA. Ninth-grader Kelly Lauman also advanced to the state tournament.
• Northwood-Kensett runners Heather Amundson placed first, and Laurie Johnson took third in Class 1A and advanced to the Iowa Girls’ State Cross Country Meet.
• The Glenville-Emmons volleyball team defeated New Richland-Ellendale 3-1 by scores of 9-15, 15-8, 15-12 and 15-12. Janean Flatness had six ace hits and Lisa Sveen had five for Glenville-Emmons.
• In the first round of Section 3-C football playoffs, Alden-Conger-Freeborn defeated Truman 41-13. Mike Allen scored on a 99-yard run for the Knights.
10 years ago – 2003
• In Section 1 9-Man football, Glenville-Emmons defeated Houston 26-22. Wade Johnson blocked a punt and recovered the ball in the end zone for a touchdown, and Kris Knutson gained 210 yards on 37 carries for the Wolverines.
• In Sub-Section Class A volleyball, Alden-Conger defeated Medford 3-2 by scores of 25-21, 18-25, 25-21, 11-25 and 15-13. A-C was led by Kenzie Johnson with 10 kills, Mandy Kruger with 10 kills and 24 digs and Angie Wichmann with 31 assists.
• The Northwood-Kensett football team improved to 7-1 on the season after defeating North Kossuth 8-3. Tom Fierova scored for the Vikings, and Eric Parker had three interceptions.