Sports MemoriesPublished 12:27pm Saturday, November 2, 2013
By Chuck Anderson
50 years ago – 1963
• Named to the Gopher League All-Star football team were Michael Hatle, Janes O’Hara, Dan Boetter, Lyle Nuhring and Steve Johnson from New Richland; Tim Thompson, Dan Jensen and Sheldon Lieberg from Ellendale; and Keith Ingvalson, Keith Carey, Denny Kruckberg and Jeff Christensen from Blooming Prairie.
25 years ago – 1988
• Center Rick Jahns was named the Most Valuable Player on the Albert Lea High School football team by his teammates.
• In the first game in the Iowa Class 1A football playoffs, Northwood-Kensett defeated Northern University High School 21-20 in double overtime. Russ Engstler scored two touchdowns and Kirk Paulson one for the Vikings.
• The Albert Lea High School girls’ cross country team placed second in Region 1AA and advanced to the Minnesota State Cross Country meet. Senior Sara Hartman finished first and her twin sister Steph Hartman third and also advanced to state for ALHS.
• In Minnesota Section 1 9-Man football, South Central defeated Cleveland 40-12 and advanced to the section title game. Jon Goette gained 127 yards on 17 carries for South Central.
• Northwood-Kensett runners Heather Amundson placed second and Laurie Johnson 14th in Class 1A at the Iowa State Girls’ Cross Country meet.
• The Northwood-Kensett football team defeated Forest City 14-0 and tied for the North Iowa Conference title with a record of 6-1. Scoring touchdowns for the Vikings were Russ Engstler and Brian Moretz.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Glenville-Emmons football team finished its season with a record of 5-5 after losing to undefeated Spring Grove 22-14 in the section semi-final round. Alex Hansen and Kris Knutson scored touchdowns for the Wolverines.
• ALHS girls’ tennis players receiving All-Conference Honors were Ashley Helgerson, Nicole Rafdel and Karen Leonard.
• The New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva volleyball team ended its season with an overall record of 20-6 after being defeated 3-0 by Montgomery-Lonsdale in the east division of Section 2AA.