Sports Memories: Nov. 10Published 2:46pm Saturday, November 9, 2013
50 years ago – 1963
• The Albert Lea High School football team tied Austin for second place in the Big Nine Conference with a 6-2 record after defeating Winona 45-12. Mel Stensrud and Bill Sutherland each scored three touchdowns for the Tigers.
• Mel Stensrud of the ALHS football team set the ALHS rushing record of 1,772 yards. He surpassed Earl Ashpole’s record of 1,688.
• Named to the Border Conference All-Star football team were the following: From Alden were Gary Newman, Bob Hoeg, Dennis Freidel, Bob Lindeman and Ross Schmidt; from Elmore were Jim Severson, Terry Severson, Les Cooan and Greg Larsen; from Kiester were Gordon Sevley and Dale Houkoos; from Freeborn was Richard McKean; From Delavan were Fred Jimenes, Warren Meyer, Sam Smith and Bill Verdoorn; from Bricelyn were Duane Jergenson, Bob Leland and Tom Lund; from Frost were Paul Maland and Dennis Midthun; from Emmons was Paul Monson.
25 years ago – 1988
• In the first round of Region 1AA volleyball, ALHS defeated Rochester John Marshall 3-2 by scores of 15-3, 8-15, 9-15, 16-14 and 15-1. Sophomore Pam Stoltz of the Tigers had 13 ace hits.
• South Central defeated Wells-Easton 3-0 in District 5A volleyball. South Central improved its season record to 15-2.
• ALHS placed sixth in the Minnesota State Class AA Cross Country meet. Finishers for ALHS were Sara Hartman, sixth; Steph Hartman, seventh; Amy Stay, 24th; Robin Heyes, 60th; and Jenna Seul, 68th.
• The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Detroit Lions 44-17 and out-gained the Lions in total yardage 553-89. Vikings quarterback Wade Wilson passed for 391 yards.
10 years ago – 2003
• Amber Edwards of the ALHS volleyball team was an Big Nine All-Conference selection. Honorable mention awards were presented to Katie Brackey and Jenna Brackey of the Tigers.
• The United South Central/Alden-Conger cross country team placed third at the Minnesota State Class A meet. Jamie Klein placed ninth; Becca Bryson, 12th; Megan Jensen, 42nd; Lindsey Ravenhorst, 44th; Katie Schultz, 45th; Katie Jensen, 84th; and Joelle Elmore, 106th for USC/A-C.
• Jim Flim, a graduate of Ellendale High School was inducted into the Minnesota State University at Mankato hall of fame.