Sports memories: Dec. 1Published 6:00am Sunday, December 1, 2013
50 years ago – 1963
• Named to the American Football Coaches Association All-American Football Team was Carl Eller of the Minnesota Gophers.
• In its opening basketball game of the year, Albert Lea defeated Minneapolis Central 55-43. The Tigers were led by Paul Nervig with 17 points and Pat Fogerty and Jim Bratvold with 12 points each.
• The Albert Lea wrestling team opened its season with a 25-21 win over Winona. Winners for the Tigers were Mark Allen at 95 pounds, Gary Neist at 112 pounds, Barry Allen at 120 pounds, Frank Trejo at 127 pounds, Neil Skaar at 154 pounds, Jim Carrol at 175 pounds and Mike Roberts at heavyweight.
• Kiester High School, behind Warren Meyer with 26 points and Dale Houkoos with 21, defeated East Chain 80-79 in overtime.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Albert Lea boys’ hockey team opened its season with a 4-3 win over Park Center. Bucky Christensen scored three goals for the Tigers.
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference volleyball team was Meg Mikulich of Albert Lea. Becky Mattick and Stephanie Morris of Albert Lea received All-Conference honorable mention.
• The Glenville-Emmons girls’ basketball team won its second straight game of the season when it defeated Elmore 63-38. Leading Glenville-Emmons were Lisa Sveen with 17 points, and Janean Flatness and Emmy Steene with 15 points each.
10 years ago – 2003
• The Minnesota Gophers women’s basketball team defeated Colorado 95-61 behind 24 points by Lindsay Whalen to raise its
season record to 2-0.
• The Albert Lea girls’ hockey team remained undefeated at 2-0 with an 11-3 victory over Austin. Scoring goals for the Tigers were Amy Leach, 2, Karissa Lau, 2, Laura Hillman, 2, Sarah Jensen, Brittany Arendt, Christine Tubbs, Tessa Christensen and Heather Bagley.
• Named to the Big Nine All-Conference girls’ soccer team from Albert Lea were Amy Marka and Katie Dooley. Brianne Plantage of Albert Lea received All-Conference honorable mention.
• The Albert Lea wrestling team was ranked No. 4 in the state. Albert Lea individuals ranked in the top 10 in the state included Adam Elseth, No. 1 at 140 pounds; Zach Hansen, No. 4 at 103 pounds; Brandon Klukow, No. 10 at 145 pounds; Dustin Eggum, No. 8 at 160 pounds; Randy Larson, No. 7 at 215 pounds; and Chris Hable, No. 6 at 275 pounds.