Sports Memories: Dec. 22Published 6:00am Sunday, December 22, 2013
50 years ago – 1963
• The Glenville High School basketball team won its first conference game of the year by a score of 66-53 over Le Roy. Tom Struck scored 17 points, Dave Monson, 16, Ron Rasmussen and Ron Kycek, 12 points each for Glenville.
• Roger Neist placed first in the high bar, parallel bar and rings, and Larry Peterson won the free exercise and tumbling for the Albert Lea gymnastics team in its 70-35 victory over Sleepy Eye.
• The Albert Lea basketball team was defeated by Wells 56-40. Dave Schultz scored 23 points and Dick Wanzek, 16, for Wells. Jim Bratvold led the Tigers with 17 points.
• Kiester High School moved into first place in the Border League basketball race with a 48-39 win over Emmons. Warren Meyer led Kiester with 17 points, and Alan Rasmussen had 17 for Emmons.
25 years ago – 1988
• The Northwood-Kensett boys’ basketball team remained undefeated with a 5-0 record after defeating Osage 65-56. The Vikings were led by Mark Midtgaard with 26 points; Scott Timmerman, 15; and Russ Engstler,14.
• The South Central girls’ basketball team ran its Southern Minny Conference record to 2-0 with a 63-54 against Granada-Huntley-East Chain. Jessica Hill scored 24 points and Kay Molskness, 18, for South Central.
• The Albert Lea boys’ swimming team scored a 94-70 win over Austin. First place finishers for the Tigers were Chris Schmitz in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard backstroke, Chad Bergo in the 200-yard freestyle, Matt Johnson in the 50-yard freestyle and Erik Hendrickson and Damon Sonnek in diving.
10 years ago – 2003
• Weight champions for the Albert Lea wrestling team at The Don Eustice Memorial Wrestling Tournament were Zach Hansen at 103 pounds, Eric Johnson at 112, Brandon Klukow at 152, Randy Larson at 215 pounds and Chris Hable at 275.
• The Albert Lea girls’ hockey team defeated Winona 8-3 behind three goals by Brittany Arendt and two by Tessa Christensen. Also scoring goals for Albert Lea were Marissa Cottrell, Amy Leach and Sarah Jensen.