Check, please? Hockey Day setPublished 12:32pm Thursday, January 30, 2014
The eighth annual Albert Lea Hockey Day will be on Saturday and will feature a ton of hockey action both indoors and outside.
The action will get underway with a Mite 2’s game at Hayek Park at 9 a.m. and will conclude with a B Bantam game against Waseca at 6:45 p.m. All-in-all there will be 16 games split between the Albert Lea City Arena and Hayek Park.
The Albert Lea boys’ varsity team will play Rochester Mayo at 3 p.m. at City Arena in a matchup of two of the state’s most successful high school coaches and former University of Minnesota teammates Roy Nystrom and Lorne Grosso. The Tigers girls’ varsity team will play Mayo at 5:30 p.m.
There will be a skills competition from 8 to 11 a.m. and tailgating in the parking lot.
A raffle drawing will be at 1 p.m. Saturday. Prizes include $1,500, $1,000 and $500 cash, a 50-inch smart TV, a Microsoft Surface, a Kindle Fire and gift cards. Proceeds go to the Albert Lea Youth Hockey Association.
There also will be a burger basket night at Wedgewood Cove from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
• There will be a three-person pool tournament at the Geneva Bar & Grill. Cost is $60 per team. This event starts Friday at 6:30 and also runs on Saturday.
• Karaoke with Laurie will run from 8 p.m. to midnight at the Albert Lea American Legion.
• Students from Sibley Elementary School will team up with two professional actors to present Prairie Fire Children’s Theatre’s original musical version of the tale “Beauty and the Beast.” Performance time is 7 p.m. at Southwest’s Little Theater. Cost is $5 for adults and $2 for students.
• There will be the Gourmet Food Auction at Wedgewood Cove from 6 to 7 p.m. Cost is $35 for couples and $20 per person.
• Entertainment will be provided by Larry Rysavy at the Albert Lea Eagles Club in the evening.
• Tom Minehart Karaoke will be at the Albert Lea Moose Club at 7 p.m.
• The 24th annual Tiger City Farm, Toy, Truck & Collectibles Show will be at Northbridge Mall from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Students from Sibley Elementary School will team up with two professional actors to present Prairie Fire Children’s Theatre’s original musical version of the tale “Beauty and the Beast.” Performance time is 10:30 a.m. at Southwest’s Little Theater. Cost is $5 for adults and $2 for students.
• There will be a karaoke contest at America’s Best Value Inn from 5 p.m. to midnight. Thirty-five contestants will be accepted, and $350 in cash prizes will be given away. Contestants can register at the front desk or the Big Island Facebook page.
• Dell Lutheran Church near Frost will host its 32nd annual Lutefisk Supper. Cost is $16 for adults and $5 for children under 10-years-old.
• The Full Draw Archery Club will host a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m at the Albert Lea American Legion.
• There will be breakfast at the Alden American Legion from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Cost is $5. Children under 6-years-old are free.
• The 24th annual Tiger City Farm, Toy, Truck & Collectibles Show will be at Northbridge Mall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Dad’s Belgian Waffles will be at First Lutheran Church from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost is $7 for adults and $5 for children ages 6-12.