Sports Memories: Jan. 12Published 6:00am Sunday, January 12, 2014
50 years ago – 1964
• The Lake Mills basketball team defeated Osage 77-51 for its first victory in 24 games. The Bulldogs were led by Milo Lien with 22 points and Curt Evans with 19.
• Bob Sorenson scored a goal in overtime for the Albert Lea hockey team in its 3-2 win against Farmington. Also scoring goals for the Tigers were Mark Peterson and Dave Beavens.
• The Albert Lea Rangers of the Southern Minnesota Amateur Hockey League tied for the league lead after defeating Owatonna 7-2. Scoring goals for the Rangers were Butch Westrum, 4, Archie Nelson, 2, and Doran Johannsen.
• The Albert Lea basketball team evened its season record at 4-4 with a 40-35 win over Northfield. Jim Bratvold scored 16 points for the Tigers.
25 years ago – 1989
• The Austin Packers wrestling team forfeited three matches to Albert Lea and lost the dual 35-26. Winning matches for the Tigers were Scott Johnson at 135 pounds, Tim Anderson at 140 pounds, Kelly Pechumer at 145 pounds and Mickey Held at heavyweight. The Tigers improved to 5-1 for the season.
• The Northwood-Kensett boys’ basketball team raised its North Iowa Conference record to 6-0 and its season record to 8-0 after defeating Garner-Hayfield 72-49. Russ Engstler scored 18 points for the Vikings.
• Pam Stoltz scored 17 points and had 19 rebounds and Tracie Schmidtke added 16 points for the Albert Lea girls’ basketball team in its first win of the season, a 56-50 victory over Austin.
• The Alden-Conger-Freeborn girls’ basketball team improved to 6-1 in the Gopher Conference after defeating Waterville-Elysian 55-27. Scoring in double figures for Alden-Conger-Freeborn were Darcy Evenson, 16, Kris Korman, 14, and Traci Jorgensen, 11.
10 years ago – 2004
• Laura Hillman, Karisca Lau and Amy Leach each scored two goals for the Albert Lea girls’ hockey team in its 6-4 victory over Mankato East.
• Jon Breuer scored two goals and Travis McKinney, 1, for Albert Lea in its 3-0 boys’ hockey win over Faribault. Evan Long was in goal for the shutout.